No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Fritz Heckert I think . . . but . . .  (Read 2565 times)

Offline BSevern

• Members
Fritz Heckert I think . . . but . . .
« on: June 01, 2012, 07:10:03 AM »
Although it was advertised as unmarked, I was pretty certain this vase was a Fritz Heckert piece.  I received it today, and what a beautiful piece in person, the teal blue iridescence is fantastic, photos don't do it justice. 

I thought I'd check the base with a loupe to make sure there wasn't signs of a mark, and there wasn't.  Imagine my surprise when I checked the rest of the vase, and saw that indeed it had a signature, surprisingly one I've never seen before.  It's marked "Dr. W. M."

Anyone have any ideas on the signature?

Thanks,
Brian

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Fritz Heckert I think . . . but . . .
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 07:18:56 AM »
oooh that is absolutely gorgeous!  how tall is it? it's difficult to see how the sig was done, it doesn't look like enamel from your photo and it doesn't look engraved  :-\ how do you think it was done seeing it in person?
m

Offline BSevern

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 02:07:09 PM »
It's 8" tall.  I looked at the signature under a loupe and the signature is done in black enamel, the same black enamel used to detail the swans, leaves, etc.    Beautiful work, but the signature is a real mystery.

Offline Galle

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 06:36:50 PM »
Brian,

PMC V.94 and V.95 references enamelist Willy Meitzen. He was a "Dr. Willy Meitzen", according to the Glasmarkenlexikon. I think that has to be it - nice, really nice find!

Warren

Offline BSevern

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 08:19:08 PM »
Thank you very much Warren! 

Glad to know I have a new Heckert designer piece  :)

Here's a really wild piece by Dr. Willy Meitzen from liveauctioneers:
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/1367773

[Mod: copy of auction image replaced with a link - in line with GMB copyright policy]

Offline BSevern

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 08:41:08 PM »
Mods please feel free to update the title to "Blue iridescent vase ID = Fritz Heckert, with signed Dr. Willy Meitzen decor"

Thanks,
Brian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand