No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ball vase - Christenenhutte Schott Zwiesel - date and designer?  (Read 4730 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
I'm so pleased with my new addition to my German glass collection...  A clear Christinenhutte Schott Zwiesel ball vase with applied amber which feels fabulous to the touch.  The vase is about 15cm high but weighs close to 2kg. The base has a polished pontil mark.

Could someone tell me when it was designed (70s, 80s or 90s) and by whom?

Thank you for looking.

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: Ball vase - Christenenhutte Schott Zwiesel - date and designer?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 05:53:45 PM »
Beautiful vase, Anik!
Would look nice beside my Schott Zwiesel vase (although mine has internal bands): http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,39751.0.html

But sorry, can't help with designer or date.
I found some info in the "20th century factory glass" book (cited in the above mentioned thread), but not much help either.

BTW, where did you get the Zwiesel ID from? - Cant see a label...

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 06:21:57 PM »
 :hi:   Thank you for commenting.

The vase has got a label...  Here's a picture:

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 09:13:04 PM »
That's interesting, when I saw it, I was almost sure it was a Gistl. But I'd never seen this one with a label before. Learned something new!

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 03:57:07 AM »
Thank you, Astrid...  though I've searched the Internet for another example of this vase attributed to Schott Zwiesel, I haven't come up with anything. 

I have seen very similar examples attributed to Gistl though.   

:huh:

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 05:57:30 AM »
Either the Gistl attribution is false, and just assumed widely because of the similarity in technique, or both glassworks have produced similar looking objects.

I also checked to be sure whether the factories were part of the same group, but the Christinenhütte is not the same as the Gistl hütte. Gistl eventually became part of the Riedel-Nachtmann group, while Zwiesel was long part of the Schott Zwiesel, but apparently had a management buy-out in 2001 and now is just Zwiesel again (but they also use the name Jenaer Glas).

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 08:12:26 PM »
Astrid, thank you for the information and for raising interesting questions.  I would think it odd that there would be such a widespread mis-attribution to Gistl.  Perhaps both Gistl and Schott Zwiesel made similar pieces.

By the way, since I got my hands on my very first kitchen scale today, I can tell you that the vase weighs 1728g.  :)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 11:47:57 AM »
Just to add to the confusion: I saw two pieces in this technique recently with "Oberglas" labels ::)

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 02:31:13 PM »
Perhaps this type of decoration was popular with several glassworks.

Unfortunately, I don't have the vase anymore.  It sold for a very painful 20PLN on ebay a couple months back. :-[

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand