No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Translation assistance please  (Read 2358 times)

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
Translation assistance please
« on: June 02, 2012, 02:37:27 PM »
HI ,
          I am researching a glass I got recently and this has taken me to look at 'Glashutte Iburg',I am having trouble with my limited German and poor online translations of the following text and hoped one of you kind folks out there could help me out ,

Kurfürst Ernst August I. ( 1629 - 1698 ) ließ 1674 in Iburg eine Glashütte errichten, die jedoch nur bis 1677 bestand. In den Iburger Klosterannalen des Abts Maurus Rost (1633 - 1706) ist dazu nachzulesen: "In diesem Sommer legte der durchlauchtigste Fürst in seinem Garten gegen Südwesten eine Glashütte an, wo man aus weißen durchsichtigen Kieseln, die zerkleinert und gemahlen wurden, Gläser herstellte, die nach Amsterdam und anderen Orten verschickt wurden. Aber wegen Holzmangels nach Abholzungen des Grafensundern, abgesehen davon, dass die Gläser, obgleich sehr rein und hell, wegen ihrer Sprödigkeit nicht sehr geachtet waren, wurde die Arbeit wieder eingesellt, ...". In den Anmerkungen ist verzeichnet: "Noch im Juni 1677 hat Ernst August eine Schuld von 1009 Thalern für die Hütte bezahlt."

Cheers ,
             Peter.

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
Re: Translation assistance please
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 03:09:51 PM »
I used Google Translate and got this result - hope it's of some use!

Elector Ernst August I (1629 - 1698) was 1674 in Iburg build a glass factory, which was only to 1677th In Iburger monastery annals of Abbot Maurus Rust (1633 - 1706) is to be read: "This summer, the illustrious prince lay in his garden on the southwest a glass factory, where one of white translucent pebbles, which were crushed and ground glass produced, were sent to Amsterdam and other places. But due to lack of timber felling of Earl Sunderland, apart from the fact that the glasses, although very clean and bright, were not because of their brittleness was very respected, eingesellt returned to work ... ". Is recorded in the notes: "As late as June 1677, Ernst August has paid a debt of 1009 dollars for the hut."
Nancy

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 03:13:32 PM »
Prince elect Ernst August 1st ordered the erection of a glass hut in Iburg in 1674 which only survived until 1677. In the annals of  Iburg Abbey of abbot Maurus Rost we can read "in this summer the eminent elect built a glass works in the southwest corner of his garden where from soft transparent pebbles which were crushed and ground, glass was made which was sent to Amsterdam and other places.  But due to lack of wood after depletion of the earls grounds, apart from the fact that these glasses were brittle even if very clear and bright, were not very in demand, the work was terminated again" In the notes it says "As late es June 1677 Ernst August had paid a debt of 1009 Thaler for the glass works.)

Kurfürst Ernst August I. ( 1629 - 1698 ) ließ 1674 in Iburg eine Glashütte errichten, die jedoch nur bis 1677 bestand. In den Iburger Klosterannalen des Abts Maurus Rost (1633 - 1706) ist dazu nachzulesen: "In diesem Sommer legte der durchlauchtigste Fürst in seinem Garten gegen Südwesten eine Glashütte an, wo man aus weißen durchsichtigen Kieseln, die zerkleinert und gemahlen wurden, Gläser herstellte, die nach Amsterdam und anderen Orten verschickt wurden. Aber wegen Holzmangels nach Abholzungen des Grafensundern, abgesehen davon, dass die Gläser, obgleich sehr rein und hell, wegen ihrer Sprödigkeit nicht sehr geachtet waren, wurde die Arbeit wieder eingesellt, ...". In den Anmerkungen ist verzeichnet: "Noch im Juni 1677 hat Ernst August eine Schuld von 1009 Thalern für die Hütte bezahlt."

Cheers ,
             Peter.

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 03:24:08 PM »
Hi ,
          Wonderful as always , thanks to you both , I think Ivos translation nailed it best for my purpose.

Cheers ,
              Peter.

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 03:55:08 AM »
Ivo versus Google!  Of course Ivo wins!
Nancy

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 09:38:50 AM »
HI ,
         Next question ,
 Can anyone point me in the direction of information regarding the type/forms of glass produced at this short lived glass house and if any images are available .

Many thanks ,

Peter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand