No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Possible Vasart V030?  (Read 5189 times)

Offline Pkay

• Members
Possible Vasart V030?
« on: March 25, 2006, 11:54:24 PM »
Hi,

I picked up this piece on ebay a couple of weeks ago after having a good look at the Ysart glass pages for the first time.  Something in the back of my mind was telling me that it could be Monart, but as I won it with the opening bid it didn't really matter either way for the price.

Having looked at the site again, I now think it's possibly a Vasart piece being similar in shape to the V030.  I went on to read that surface decorated pieces by Vasart are not at all common, so with that and the fact that nobody bid against me, I'm pretty doubtful that it is but would be greatful for a definate answer either way.

The vase measures 8 1/2 inches (216mm) tall & the decoration is a sort of purple/maroon and white colour.  There's possibly some writing on the raised pontil but I can't make anything out specifically.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/pkay6/Mon1.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/pkay6/Mon5.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/pkay6/Mon9.jpg

Any help appreciated.
Thanks, Pkay.
kay

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Possible Vasart V030?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 12:10:36 PM »
It certainly looks like the Vasart ones, not Monart, but it is very hard to tell from the picture.

A few show here http://www.ysartglass.com/Ysart/YsartSpecial2.htm

Larger pics of a lamp

http://www.ysartglass.com/Pinup/YsartPinup200405.htm

Is the top edge fire finished (Vasart) or cut (Possible Strathearn)? Not heard of a cloisonné in Strathearn yet. I expect we will be seeing a lot more surface decorated Vasart over the next few years.

Offline Pkay

• Members
Possible Vasart V030?
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 05:32:38 PM »
Hi,

thanks for your reply.  Looking at the 'Specials' page the vase does appear to be a Vasart and 2 colour one at that.  I'll try to get some better pictures added later on, or as soon as I have time, to give you a better idea.   Also the rim has been fire finished.  

I expect we will be seeing a lot more surface decorated Vasart over the next few years.

I have just won another small vase which looks like a possible 2 colour cloisonné decorated piece, although I haven't had chance to check the shape as yet.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pretty-Mottled-Blue-Caithness-Glass-Vase-Unused_W0QQitemZ7400184896QQcategoryZ2685QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If this is also a Vasart, wouldn't it be a bit strange why they're only just turning up now? ... or not?  I know very little about Ysart glass in general, as it's not my usual area of collecting but I'm starting to take a bit more notice of it all of a sudden.  :wink:

Hopefully I'll have some better pictures added in a day or so.

Thanks again for your help,
Pkay
kay

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Possible Vasart V030?
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 11:10:08 PM »
The eBay one is definitely not Ysart.

Offline Pkay

• Members
Possible Vasart V030?
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 12:19:13 AM »
Oh well... not to worry, 1 possible out of 2 isn't bad for a starter.
I've tried to get some more photo's done but I'm not sure they're any better than the last ones to be honest.  This seems to be one of them pieces that doesn't photograph too easily, well not by me anyway!

http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/pkay6/Vasart%20V030%20Surface%20Decorated%20Vase/?sc=1&multi=8&addtype=local&media=image

If the pics make it any clearer whether it's Vasart or not, assuming that it is for a moment, do you know what the colour would be correctly described as?

Also in the album is what I thought could be a V037 shape vase. Again there's no obvious mark but this one measures 125mm tall (4 15/16") which may be a new size to add to the list?

Thanks again,
Pkay.
kay

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Possible Vasart V030?
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 06:02:52 AM »
V037 size will be added, thanks.

I still cannot be certain on the surface piece, what do others think?

Offline David555

• Members
Possible Vasart V030?
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 02:42:55 PM »
It has that Monart/Vasart shape and feel to it - I think the surface texture is very close and the button pontil looks good.

I have to say that I am just a beginner and if you are in two minds about it Frank then I have no chance  - LOL

It seems quite an important piece to catalogue, maybe next time you are in the country Frank you could meet up with Pkay - I sense that if held and inspected closely you would be a big step further on.

Thanks

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Possible Vasart V030?
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 03:33:49 PM »
Perhaps you can meet up with Gary he has several Vasart surface pieces and can manage to confirm it.

Offline millarart

• Members
Possible Vasart V030?
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 04:23:39 PM »
Hi Pkay and Frank,
                             i have had a good look at this piece and have no doubt that it is Vasart , shape and colour and pontil is all good, i do however feel that i should let you Pkay know that there is on thing that is not right with this piece, ITS NOT SITTING LOOKING AT ME FROM MY OWN COLLECTION  :cry: :lol:  :evil:  :roll: , so i hope Pkay you have taken this hint and remember the name MILLARART when you get fed up of it :roll:  :roll:
                                  Gary
                        [/u]
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Possible Vasart V030?
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 09:26:16 PM »
Thanks Gary,

I was 99% certain, now 100%. These do seem to be flooding  :shock: out at the moment I expect we are going to many more such surprises in the coming years!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand