No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Street Views of Glassworks  (Read 67618 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Street Views of Glassworks
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2012, 10:23:43 PM »
Thank you for adding the link to the pics. Fascinating to see, yet sad that it's no longer working.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2013, 03:48:05 PM »
Dear all,

I would really like to see a map with dates on it, showing where the (main) factories were, and the dates of their main production. (In an ideal world some examples of the 'stlye' would be even better as a 'first stop' on the trail to identification.

Has somebody already made such a map? (where, etc.) and if not then would honorable readers like to assist ME in making one.

(In the first instance I would start with Italy Bohemia, France, UK-> Northern Europe)

Once this is available it would mean that, given a guess about date and general area of origin it would be easy to see which factories are most likely, and therefore can be checked first when trying to identify.

I don't know abput street views, ( although quite a few Uk ones appear in both The Glass Cone ( Matthew Bolton & Sons is on the Spring 2011) and Glass circkle news.
But waht is interesting is a map of nearly all European glass manufacturing locations!

I found this in a book called"The Book of Glass" by Gustav Weiss published by Barrie and Jenkins in 1971.
Page 333, called "Glasshouse sites" starts in the States starting with Jamestown in 1608, and mentions about 40 East Coast companies, and through to Page 340 it covers Paris ( 27 factories), Bohemia, Thuringia and Franken, Belgium ( though misses Scailemont) Austria, Denmark, Holland, Ireland, in fact every European country. England gets a bit of a short shift though the author mentions "47 English glasshouses making flint glass, circa 1695", and 15 ij bristol in  1722.
 Dr David Watts masterly recent "Glass Making in London", now already being updated, partley fills this in for our capital city.
While not exhaustive, ( Sweden 20th century is missing!), it makes an excellent starting point for someone to update and produce a more complete anthology.
I have traced 87 Uk hand making companies between 1900 and 2000, of which about 12 of us are left. This ignores the small studios and are factories with lehrs and not kilns for annealing.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Davidson Glass Works on Google Street View
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2013, 09:55:55 PM »
Hi Anne,

I believe so, although I haven't been up to Gateshead for a couple of years. The last time we visited the site they were trying to lease the building.

Sadly it is in a poor state of repair, although the doors are still the 1939 originals.

Regards

Chris

A check of the old Davidson building shows updated photos on Google street view (dated Sept 2012) which reveal that the Davidson offices are now housing a boxing club, so are no longer sad and derelict!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline flyboy90

• Members
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2014, 04:32:22 PM »
The staff at Broadfield did a map of all the glassworks in the Stourbridge Area with individual histories, Steve Williams 01384 812745 is a good contact.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2021, 03:40:35 PM »
Dear all,

I would really like to see a map with dates on it, showing where the (main) factories were, and the dates of their main production. (In an ideal world some examples of the 'stlye' would be even better as a 'first stop' on the trail to identification.

Has somebody already made such a map? (where, etc.) and if not then would honorable readers like to assist ME in making one.

(In the first instance I would start with Italy Bohemia, France, UK-> Northern Europe)

Once this is available it would mean that, given a guess about date and general area of origin it would be easy to see which factories are most likely, and therefore can be checked first when trying to identify.
Hi Jay,
I have done one in 2008 for our 20th Century  British Domestic Glass museum, but it is limited to the 20th century, and the UK.
I am sure there are some i've missed and would like all comments, corrections, and additions.
As the Museum is closed during lockdown 3 (is it?), it would b a god project to do.
I also have one old map of London glass works before 1700, I'l try to post.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand