No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Swedish Glass in 2012  (Read 3284 times)

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
Swedish Glass in 2012
« on: December 11, 2012, 04:54:10 PM »
The radio announced today December 11, 2012 a surviving glass studio in Sweden has gone bankrupt.
Bergdala-Strömbergshyttan has left the scene and now there remains a few glass
works in studio.
It is a sad day for me to slowly watch the death of a cultural tradition in my adopted country Sweden.
Bill Geary

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline kisslikeether

• Members
    • 20th Century Scandianvian
Re: Swedish Glass in 2012
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 05:55:21 PM »
 :'(

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 07:13:37 PM »
All we'll have left soon is one massive supermarket. :-X

It's appalling, I'm really sorry to hear this, Bill.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 07:01:59 AM »
Oh no, this is terrible  :(   Yet another  in a long line of closures.
OH and I have, for 20 years, driven over to Småland to visit all the glass studios; not necessarily to buy anything, more to see what was on the pipe. When we first started, our trips were meticulously planned in order to pack in as many studios as possible. It used to take us 3 glorious, inspiring days. Sometimes we went twice a year.
Now we can do the trip in one day and it is heartbreaking to drive through the villages and see old, familiar workshops closed and lifeless. It's so sad.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 04:04:58 PM »
Oh no, this is terrible  :(   Yet another  in a long line of closures.
OH and I have, for 20 years, driven over to Småland to visit all the glass studios; not necessarily to buy anything, more to see what was on the pipe. When we first started, our trips were meticulously planned in order to pack in as many studios as possible. It used to take us 3 glorious, inspiring days. Sometimes we went twice a year.
Now we can do the trip in one day and it is heartbreaking to drive through the villages and see old, familiar workshops closed and lifeless. It's so sad.

That's the problem, everyone went to see but no one bought anything and it is all dying. People have less desire to own something but have the desire to experience something. I'm having a lot more people want to do classes than I have people wanting to buy merchandise. The times are still a changing!
I see few people here that buy from studios or the few factories that remain. Most are buying at boot sales and thrift shops and that does nothing to continue the existence of handmade glass. Don't complain about the disappearance of the craft if we all don't support it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand