No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Need ID on 1800 c. Great Grandmothers Powder Jar (powder still in it)  (Read 2355 times)

Offline gshep

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • I dabble in everything
    • USA - So. CA
Since my Great Grandparents left France and migrated to Canada sometime in the late 1800's it is a bit of a daunting task to for me to try and put a date and Maker on my inheireted pieces. This is the last Antique Glass piece I have. My Great Grandmothers Powder Jar. It still has the Powder in it.  :o  The Glass is thick and heavy. It has a mirror on the inside lid with a sifter screen and a Satin Ribboned Powder Puff. It has no markings. Can anyone here tell who the Maker might have been? Thanks!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Looks more 1920s to 1950s than 1800s IMHO

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Looks more 1920s to 1950s than 1800s IMHO

Most definately. Generic mass produced powder sold in the five & dimes from the 30s through early 50s. 

Offline gshep

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • I dabble in everything
    • USA - So. CA
Thank You Ohio and Lustrousstone!  So then maybe it wasn't Great, but was my Grand- Mothers Jar?  Oh and I also ended up with many Crystal Necklaces. Most are the Aurora Borialis type. The one I posted I think are Swarovski? and 1 Cut Crystal or Cut Glass Intaglio Brooch. I think I should find an Appraiser or maybe someone like yourselves, that have many years experience in glass. Once again I thank you for the info.

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
I could very well have been your great grandmother's powder, but sometimes you have to remember its the age of the piece not the age of the person who owned it. Lets say your great grandmother as born in 1895 & bought it in 1935 at the age of 40...its still a 1935 powder jar that has survived until 2012 so its not bad.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
One item per topic please :) http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,28213.0.html

And yes, your pot is definitely 20th century. Somewhere between 1920-1950 based on its design. 
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand