No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Was the Bagley Ilkley trinket set reproduced in Denmark in the 1960's?  (Read 9176 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
That's a much better pic of the bottle detail, Natalie, thanks for adding it and your info to the debate.  It looks like it was meant to be a part of the set, doesn't it?

It's interesting that the only 2 of these to surface so far have been in this frosted blue.  Has anyone seen the bottle elsewhere, on its own or with other sets?

Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
'The British version was a copy of the 1960's Danish original. This is one of the 1960's Danish productions which i purchased in Copenhagen.'

Did they do time travel at Bagley? Perhaps the Dr popped in ::)

We know Bagley was mainly a bottle manufacturer so why not. It was probably a retailer commission

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Heh heh heh I missed that quote from Natalie's convo with the seller...   :D 

We know that the British version was the original, having been first shown in the 1933 Bagley catalogue supplement, and made by them through to the 1950s. I'm not seller-bashing (see Board Policy) so no further comment on that. 

The big puzzles are:

1. Was the bottle made by Bagley or not?
2. If not by Bagley then by whom, where and when?
3. Is it seen in any other colour?

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • Trinket Sets, Uranium, Varied,
    • England, UK
Did they do time travel at Bagley? Perhaps the Dr popped in ::)

That did make me laugh Christine!

I've not seen the bottle at all anywhere else Anne.
Please help identify Mystery Glass Trinket Sets
https://www.glasstrinketsets.com/Gallery/

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
I've had a further reply from the seller, with a slightly better pic of the bottle (not really need now we can see Natalie's fab picture) but he also tells me that the maker was a small glassworks in Denmark with a name like Ludwig or something similar...  which is another possible step forward...  ???

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
The only Ludwig I know of in Danish glass production was Robert Ludwig, who ran the Helsingør bottle factory on Bornholm from 1857 - but it was eventually sold off to Kastrup, and closed entirely in 1895.

???

Offline HarderNet.dk

• Members
    • HarderNet.dk DANISH GLASSWORKS RESOURCE MUSEUM
I've had a further reply from the seller, with a slightly better pic of the bottle (not really need now we can see Natalie's fab picture) but he also tells me that the maker was a small glassworks in Denmark with a name like Ludwig or something similar...  which is another possible step forward...  ???

Hej Anne

The name "Ludwig" as a glassworks does not say me anything. A name close that I can think of would be "Lyngby Glas" but it was not a glasswork but a company that did import stemware to the Danish market, but did not have any production.
You can find few of "Lyngby Glas" on my homepage, click "Designers" scroll down to find "Lyngby Glas" click link to go to subpage for "Lyngby Glas".

As for if the Bagley Ilkley trinket set was reproduced in Denmark in the 1960's I will say that it is not something I have come across. The main producer of pressed glass was Fyens Classwork and was the main factory of this kind of glass work under Kastrup Classwork. Of cause Holmegaard Classwork also made pressed glass.

Holmegaard Glasswork did in 1963 made a reproduction of a mould from 1912 that they at that time had difficulty making - Can be found on my website under "Artglass" click letter "P" to jump down and find "Presset glas", click link to go to subpage scroll down and find a ice blue dish with fine pattern, also I know that there was made a bowl with same colour and pattern.
Same place there also is a link for Kastrup/Fyens "Presset glas" and there is to be found a candlestick set a bit similar to Bagley Ilkley candlestick.

As I see it this type of pressed glass, colorful lots of pattern did start approx. 1910 in Denmark and hardly no production after 1950.
Peter

DANISH GLASSWORKS RESOURCE MUSEUM
Holmegaard Glasswork, Kastrup Glasswork, Fyens Glasswork
HarderNet.dk

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Nic, thank you, we can probably rule that one out? :)

Peter, thanks for coming to comment on this, much appreciated. It seems from your observations that a production date of 1960s for these items would be very unlikely then?  I've gone through your pressed glass pages (they are fascinating, thank you!)  and note very few dates after the 1950s. I'm finding it hard to believe that anywhere in Denmark in the 1960s would want to take the risk of making items such as these from the 1930s.

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • Trinket Sets, Uranium, Varied,
    • England, UK
Interesting discussion thanks for all the interest. I noticed another listing with 2 sticks 2 lidded pots and the again the matching bottle in the same frosted blue.
LINK Mod: Dead link

Please help identify Mystery Glass Trinket Sets
https://www.glasstrinketsets.com/Gallery/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand