No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Amber Webb crystal vase with a hole?  (Read 2039 times)

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
Amber Webb crystal vase with a hole?
« on: June 10, 2012, 08:59:32 AM »
The object in the pictures is 38cm high and weighs 870g. The remnant of a sticker and the acid etched signature identify it clearly as made by Thomas Webb and Sons. However I know little about British glass and would appreciate a closer identification of designer and date. It looks late 1960s or early 1970s to me.

The nearest I can find in the reference material I have available is the 'Flair Collection' designed by David Hammond and Stan Eveson and introduced in January 1962, shown in plate 645 on page 302 of Hajdamach's 20th Century British Glass. The amber colour and approximate date seem plausible. However that reference says the items in that range were shaped by the 'wet stick' method not by blowing. That process does not describe the present object.

Can someone help with more information? We have a blue Webb bowl with many bubbles that may be in the same range. I will post that one separately.

Trevor

See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Amber Webb crystal vase with a hole?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 09:42:15 AM »
 :o

Wow, the first question must be does it glow green in UV light - or a bit of sunshine?
ie, is it Sunshine Amber?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 01:13:43 PM »
Thanks for the response, Sue. It does not respond to UV light at all.

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 01:26:13 PM »
 :'( :'( :'(

But still a rather stunning piece!  ;) Sorry, I can't help more. Sunshine Amber would have helped me date it, but I imagine the mark and the label will mean something to those who know more than me.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 02:28:07 PM »
The acid etched mark dates it to c1950-1966. See: http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/markt-z.htm

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 08:59:18 PM »
quite right, and by which time - presumably - Webb's had ceased including unranium?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand