No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chance 'Grantleigh' pattern dish  (Read 3546 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Chance 'Grantleigh' pattern dish
« on: June 08, 2012, 03:21:54 PM »
David's book describes the larger platter and the smaller 5" dish - and shows how the transfer pattern was modified for the smaller item (by dropping the outer ring of floral motifs.     Diameter of this example is 7" (180mm), and shows the full pattern, and as I've not seen Grantleigh before, don't know whether this sort of intermediate size is common as muck or unusual.     Might someone have the answer, and thanks for looking :)

Ref. 'Chance Expressions - The History of Domestic Glassware from Chance Brothers' - David P. Encill - 2007   

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: Chance 'Grantleigh' pattern dish
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 06:34:52 PM »
Grantleigh is not a terribly common pattern, but not in much demand either. I can't really help about the merits of individual shapes, as my research concentrated on the entire output. With not enough data coming in on any particular pattern or shape, I had to rationalise somewhere.  :-\
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 08:16:44 PM »
These are mine,not seen a round one,yet ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 08:33:48 PM »
David  -  sorry if it sounded as though I was being critical - not remotely - just thinking out loud really that your book wasn't illustrating my 7" example ;)
I think Keith has them all up in his neck of the woods ;D

o.k., so not that common, and perhaps the circular pieces a little more rare.

thanks to both of you.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 09:08:55 PM »
I have two of the 5" diameter plates too...    http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pid=954
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 09:32:50 PM »
Can't do pics at the mo but I have a 13 1/2" long platter, an 8 3/8" platter and a round 5" dish like Anne's :)
I like this pattern, but I would prefer the more psychedelic 60's design ones to be honest.
m

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 12:03:11 AM »
Like these m?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 07:37:03 AM »
yes I love those,but I'd given some boxed ones to a friend for her birthday so then felt I couldn't start collecting it.
I might just change my mind though
Anyone want to swap some for some Grantleigh in return? ;D only joking

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 12:11:11 PM »
thanks for your thoughts folks...........I did once collect Chance seriously, but chose to give it up as I didn't have room to show the various bits, although there's a bit of me regrets that decision  -  I used to like the colours and some of the designs, now very retro I guess.       David says this one has a Japanese Imari-style feel, and it reminds me of the Crown Derby Ceramics pattern of a similar name, I think.
The only Chance pieces I have left are two Giraffe necked carafes (Night Sky plus tumblers and Calypto), plus flame and white Yasmin slumped plates (at least I'm fairly sure it's not lemon - the blossom is o.k. on the flame, but some blossom disappears on the white, due to matching the background colour too closely).
Wish I'd found some of the Kenneth Townsend designs - those cartoon type London Scenes are very early 70's and amusing  - just didn't come across them at boot sales for some reason  -  but I do have some of his work on ceramic tiles.     The pregnant looking Guardsman is great!            I like the psychedelic designs as well.
I've a distinct impression that in general this material is now less common that say a year or so back  -  probably just my luck that values will now go up. :)
If anyone wants to see a pic. of the white Yasmin, let me know.       

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 01:44:43 PM »
sorry if it sounded as though I was being critical - not remotely

Paul, it did not remotely sound critical  ;D

Sounds like you kept some very choice pieces. The Giraffe carafes are always worth collecting (Night Sky is very scarce, and Hellenic even more so). Yasmin is one of my favourite florals (apart from the retro-styled psychedelic ones from the mid-1970s, which I much prefer). Strange thing about the Yasmin range - there is supposed to be some with a lemon background (and apparently were more common than white), but I'm damned if I can find any. Of course, this was info given to me some 30 years after they were produced, so it's hardly surprising it gets distorted. Chance Additions will correct this error.

The prices of the Kenneth Townsend range of trays and tiles (www.kenneth-townsend.co.uk) have gone into orbit. Already three of the tiles have sold for over £200 on eBay. Common prices seem to be from £40 to £80, but three figures is not that unusual. So hang onto (and look out for) the tiles going at good prices - considering the recession we are currently in at the moment, they could hold their high valuation.

Of the Towsend-designed Chance trays, I now have excellent photos of the Shakespeare range of trays, so they will also be included in Additions.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand