No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Even though bust I.D still required  (Read 2109 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Even though bust I.D still required
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 06:06:41 PM »
I had thought along similar lines, although Otis did say in his later post ............"the polished ground pontil"........but now I'm not so sure. :-\

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 06:09:41 PM »
My unidentified little glasses have marver rings and polished round pontil marks - I can't tell from the pic of this one if there is the polished mark present, though.  :-\
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 12:19:49 AM »
Hi,   Having reviewed my initial post, I can see why there is some uncertainty within the description.  One must apologise if not described correctly.  Focusing on the Pontil.  I deliberately omitted using the word pontil, as I was unsure whether it is or not.   I hope this first picture provides more clarity in determining whether to describe the base area in question as a pontil.  I have also included pictures of a different  sherry schooner.  If this was posted for I.D, I would of not hesitated in describing the base area as a snapped off pontil.   I appreciate that it helps to describe items in a understandable format.  An understandable format to me will not be the same to the individual recipients that reads a descriptive message.    if the technically term and wording is known when describing, then yes, it does help.  It is just unfortunately, we live in a world were we all are not technically minded as Paul S has mentioned.    I am just  hoping............that the additional pictures taken.......... are of better quality for the main subject concerns raised.  Having viewed Christine's comments, I think she maybe right. 

I'm not sure it has a polished pontil mark (the rings just look like normal cooling rings) and the rim looks like a factory made "safety rim". Perhaps it was a novelty promotional glass

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 09:56:30 AM »
There is no pontil mark there Otis. Thank you for the better images.
The matter of "technical terms" is simply one of making literal sense. The pontil is the metal rod.
When somebody says "a bit of glass has a pontil", technically, the only meaning that can be construed from this statement is that the glass is still a hot gob on the end of the rod.

The more this illiteral, meaningless phrase is used in places such as the GMB, the more it will continue to be used wrongly.
I dislike dissemination of inaccuracies.
It goes against the basic notion we have on the board about trying to get things right.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 09:59:46 AM »
I don't think either of them have pontil marks. The pontil is an iron rod, not the mark that may be left on the bottom of a handmade item when it is removed.

This shows an item still attached to the pontil rod
http://pontilisms.simonpearce.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/02_GlassPontil.jpg
This shows a snapped (sharp or broken) pontil mark (and they can be very sharp)
http://pontilisms.simonpearce.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/02_GlassPontil.jpg
Here is a nice polished pontil mark, scroll down
http://retroartglass.com/store/item/38mac/Glass_Archives/Swedish_modern_glass_Bergdala_form_oblong_bowl.html

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 12:59:35 AM »
HI,  I can now conclude from the info. provided,  both Sherry glasses do not have a pontil.  The images was of a great help Christine and thanks sue (M), for clarity within subject matter and  making it clear that there is no pontil.  Thank you all for your contributions to this post. With regards identity, a novelty promotional sherry glass for now. 

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 09:18:48 AM »
I'm so glad to have been able to elucidate things so clearly for you.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand