No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness Canisbay Goblet - in Harvest Gold?  (Read 1816 times)

Offline ckscot

• Members
Caithness Canisbay Goblet - in Harvest Gold?
« on: June 13, 2012, 04:54:14 PM »
I have this goblet which I have always believed to be Caithness Canisbay, but it's colour is much brighter than any others I've seen. Could it be Harvest Gold?  According to Mark Hill's excellent book this range was produced until 1988, but the Harvest Gold colour wasn't introduced until 1989.  The colour looks too bright to be anything else, so could this be a later version? Or was there more overlap in dates and colours than I'm imagining? ???
Iain

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Caithness Canisbay Goblet - in Harvest Gold?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 05:20:09 PM »
 ???
It looks decidedly Caithnessy - but the bowl seems to be the wrong shape for Canisbay - it should be much rounder - the rim a smaller diameter than the middle of the bowl. Perhaps a variation?

But I would think overlap is highly likely.

Nothing ever fits into official pigeonholes in reality.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline ckscot

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 07:11:01 PM »
The rim is actually very slightly smaller in diameter than the middle,  I think my digital camera has distorted the view slightly.  But i see what you mean - I also have some smaller clear ones and these do look quite a bit more rounded as you suggest the larger one should be.
Thanks.
Iain

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 12:12:39 PM »
Mark Hill states circa 88 for the end of Canisbay production so not a definite cut off date and the the colour does look ok for Harvest Gold - right tone.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand