No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cechoslovakia Glass, is this a posy vase with metal flower frog, who made this?  (Read 4110 times)

Offline jenzgems

• Members
Hi,

I have this gorgeous vase with metal flower frog, I see Cechoslovakia is stamped inside the metal top.  When taking photos I
also noticed an acid etch stamp of something on the bottom that I cannot make out.  Looks like ________ -- Czechoslovakia.

This stands right about 6" tall and the rim opening is about 3 3/4".

Any help greatly appreciated!
Jennifer

Offline jenzgems

• Members
couple more photos

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Hello Jennifer, and welcome to the GMB.
This looks very typical of a flower bowl, with metal stem support, from Czechoslvakia - which normally we might say was from the period 1930 - 1940  ish, with the type of colouring often described as 'spatter glass'      I suspect that the illegible part of the back stamp also says Made in Czechoslovakia - it's a back stamp that comes in a variety of styles, and although invariably if the piece is from that country the spelling would begin  'Czech.............it would seem that very rarely it can start with  'Tch................
However, I notice that the spelling on your metalwork is simply Cechoslovakia, which seems unusual, and might suggest that this is outside the period I mentioned.    Perhaps the metalwork was made somewhere other than Czechoslovakia.             We need someone else to help.           Am I correct in thinking that some ceramics from the 1918 - 1920 period carried this unusual spelling??
Sorry this is not very helpful.

Offline jenzgems

• Members
Hi Paul,

Thank you for looking and all your input on this.  I have tried in all different light sources to try to read the
mark on the bottom.  I know it is a straight line, not curved.  The last word I can make out some letters and am
pretty sure it says Czechoslovakia unlike the Cechoslovakia on the metal.  The word or words in front of the
Czechoslovakia has too many letters to say "made in".  I just have no clue what it says.

Also, I tried to see if a blacklight helped with the acid etch, it does not help, but the blacklight did show just a few spots on the
yellow that show up bright orange, not all, just a few spots here and there.

Again, thanks for all your help.
Jennifer

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Hello, Where are you located? in the U.S.?   
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline jenzgems

• Members
Hi, yes, I am in the U.S. St. Louis to be exact!

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
OK, so here is some info on the spelling. The metal portion of the vase appears to use a Ce as the start of Czechoslovakia. I think that a close examination of the C will show that there is a mark over the C, an inverted V. This is referred to as a C-hatchek or a C-caron. The use of this character would likely place the production of the metal between 1918 and 1921.  The use of this character on imported product to the U.S. was banned by a modification to the McKinley Tariff act in 1921. The spelling was then changed to Czechoslovakia where the Cz represented the phonetic sound of the C-Hatchek.

I would be interested in seeing a pic directly from the side so I can see a clear profile of the shape, particularly in the lower half of the piece.

The glass was likely produced around the same time.... and it may simply be that the glass house was quicker to change their provenance mark than the metal manufacturer, who would have been a different company. The stamp on the base likely says Made in Czechoslovakia". Sometimes they are partially double stamped or smeared.....

Interesting piece.....

Offline jenzgems

• Members
Thank you for all that information obscurities!
Here is a photo from the side and one of the bottom half.
I really appreciate your time and expertise!
Jennifer

Offline jenzgems

• Members
I for got to say, there is a V over the C on the stamp in the metal collar.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Do not know who made it..... slightly different shape than I though I would see......

Craig

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand