No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Edinburgh Crystal Pattern  (Read 16138 times)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
Edinburgh Crystal Pattern
« on: June 14, 2012, 07:18:23 AM »
I know how difficult it is to pin down a pattern. I have looked at so many Ed Crystal patterns I was nearly put off Crystal  :o :o I used all the usual suspects with no luck. I will try to email Ed Crystal again. I tried previously with no luck and f they dont know who else would :-\
Until a reply comes back I will throw it open to The members on here and cross all my fingers ;D
Pete. :-)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Edinburgh Crystal Pattern
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 08:06:54 AM »
I'm not suggesting it will provide the answer but it will be of interest, if nothing else, to know what the back stamp looks like, as this should provide an idea of the period during which this piece was made.        I agree that hunting for some of the older patterns can be a nightmare, and too often gets nowhere.     Since Edingburgh Crystal (as opposed to E. & L.), go back a long way  -  perhaps they don't now possess complete records of their patterns.     If you are unable to take a pic. that can be posted, simply describe the details.        Looks a nice glass. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 09:46:58 PM »
there might be a possible match for this pattern on the www.replacements.com site (in the States I believe).        Try looking under Crystal, then Edinburgh Crystal, and run down to pattern Edi45 (long way down)..........described as Fan, Criss-Cross and Cross-Hatch Cuts, No Trim.       Unfortunately, no manufacturing date given, and seems no pieces in stock, but I suspect this was a 1990's type of issue  -  pictures on the site are not as good as yours, but there is certainly a great deal of similarity.           Let us know what you think. :)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 06:05:45 AM »
Paul S you are a star mate, its a match ! Thanks for taking the time to help. I will try and see if there is a name for it and a date. I somehow messed up my bookmarks and have found that my replacement site link was not the same as the site you gave me the link for. That is now sorted. I have taken these pictures, a bit blurred but they show the mark Edinburgh Crystal used from 1955 to 1980.(Flour usually works ;D) They are really good quality glasses, Sherry Glasses I think, at 11cm tall.
  I have 4 E & L Glasses I still haven't found a pattern name for and had them on here with no luck. They date from 1929 and have nibbles that need polishing out. Once done it would be impossible to notice, They are good quality. I have put a picture on just for interest. I think you have a Brilliant cut E & L and you might have commented on the link (I cant find)  previously. Thanks again, its good to find something as its so frustrating sometimes and as you say some just stay a mystery.
  There is somewhere a collection of Ed Crystal pattern books, but cant recall where I read that.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 03:33:21 PM »
Pete  -  Don't know whether you have the small booklet "The Story of Edinburgh Crystal' from Dema Glass and written by H. W. Woodward - really a potted history of the C19 and C20 history of E. & L. and then with the name change in 1955 into The Edinburgh Crystal Glass Co.       Very interesting, but not something you'd buy if you wanted to research glass patterns or designs of Edinburgh Crystal - apparently those are in '14 substantial volumes', and were at one time at Penicuik, although may now be at Broadfield House Museum, and I believe are mostly (if not all) the earlier pre name change patterns.         Presumably these would cover the period of your four E. & L. glasses (for which you don't have a name), and which you say are 1929.         Now you have the Replacements webb site, you might try looking for them again - should I see them I will let you know.
As for the expression 'brilliant cut', I have an E. & L. dessert (or similar) bowl on stem, which is cut deeply all over the bowl, which I thought was the qualification for brilliant cut, but not sure.    Originally, it was a description from the States in the late C19, which then spread to Europe, but when we all got fed up with cut glass it seems to have disappeared.
I really don't know where or how the Replacements Ltd. people found their images and data shown on their site.
As you say, your mark is the post 1955 back stamp when the company had become The Edinburgh Crystal Glass Co., although how much 'post' I don't know. :)

P.S.    To me there seems always the potential for confusion with the expression 'Edinburgh Crystal'.   On the one hand it is simply the name given to lead content cut glass produced in Edinburgh, by several companies (including E.& L.) and then there is the possibility that it might be referring specifically to The Edinburgh Crystal Glass Co.........ughhhhhh

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 07:43:29 PM »
I do have the story of Edinburgh Crystal and now realise it must have been you that told me the patterns were somewhere. Sorry for having to repeat yourself :-[ I have a terrible memory problem (ask anyone on V strong painkillers). I regularly have to double or triple learn for facts to stay put, that's my excuse and I am sticking to it  :)  I have just been looking at an American site with the Brilliant cut glass and did think it similar and some nice pieces. I can sit and look for glass for a long time so will hit the replacements site. Has anyone tried contacting the museum about access to the records (pray they put them on disc  ???) Could the Replacement site EDI45 just be their own File name ? I will have a go at asking them a few questions. I like my glass but am getting drawn more and more to crystal, my wine tastes much better out of good crystal but will refrain from drinking sherry out of these. I had some Cumbria Crystal and the quality of those is matched by these. I have no idea yet where these fit in with a date and only have 25 yrs to aim at  :) so will see how it goes with emails and research and let you know. Thanks for your help.

Just looked at EDI167. The photo again is not the best but holding my E&L up at the same angle it could be the same. The base of the bowl, stem and foot are the same I would say. I have emailed and asked about the codes/pattern numbers. EDI48 is the same cut with a cut around the top near the rim.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 07:48:50 PM »
I think that replacements.com do use their own IDs for things as well as official names. Pete, this is another very useful site to know about for crystal patterns: http://www.discontinueddesigns.co.uk/category.aspx?categoryid=7 :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 02:12:24 PM »
I do have that site thanks and it has been useful. The Replacement site wants to use my pictures but didn't answer my questions so hope they will if I send the pictures. I have emailed a few people and Waterford have said they will take a look to see if they can help so fingers crossed.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 03:52:48 PM »
quote.................."The Replacement site wants to use my pictures"..............it occurs to me that this is quite possibly the method they use to source their web site pictures of drinking glasses.            I had wondered why some of their images looked a little dodgy, and with varying backgrounds.          It's likely also that where possible they use a factory name, if this accompanies  someone's image, failing which (as with your glasses perhaps) they do as Anne has suggested and simply attach their own ED No.
Thinking about the ethics of the matter (i.e. their use of images of our glasses), it may be that 'exchange is no robbery'  -  after all we trawl their site for data and identifications, and make use of the fact that they make this information available publicly - so it works both ways, and don't think I'd object if they asked to use one of my pictures.
Just my personal opinion you understand. :)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 05:52:50 PM »
"Exchange is no Robbery" Seems fair enough to me. I did notice that some images were taken in other peoples homes etc. Do you not think that if you have the item at hand for sale you would get the photo's done and put up on their site They can use mine any time if they are good enough. Hopefully they will answer the questions I asked.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand