No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Edinburgh Crystal Pattern  (Read 16137 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Edinburgh Crystal Pattern
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 06:28:00 PM »
I agree that it does seem pointless perhaps that they should use the images of other peoples glasses, to show on their replacements web site, when in fact they don't have these items for sale.         Obviously, they aren't going to have your glasses - in fact there may be quite a few designs they will never have available for sale.            But then maybe that's to overlook the fact that the more images they have, then the more likely buyers will use their site, believing they have a very comprehesive collection, and are in the business of supplying almost anything.         I can see their logic.           Perhaps they purchase glasses from ebay or some such  -  anyway, I hope you get a helpful reply.

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 08:30:10 PM »
Getting requests for Crystal then sourcing them from anywhere including ebay would seem one of the likely things to do. (Just read that if they have HC next to an item it means that they reproduce the pattern for you) I have had a reply from Broadfield Museum.

Thank you for your email.

Under normal circumstances I would have been able to forward your email
to Roger Dodsworth who is Keeper of Glass at the museum, but alas he has
been off sick for several months.  He is expected to return on a part
time basis for a short time, but whether he will be able to investigate
the patterns for you I am unsure.

I will forward the email anyway.

The patterns will probably be in the Thomas Webb books as the date is
before the company was taken over by Crown House and Edinburgh moved up
to Pennicuik.

I am afraid I do not have any catalogues, but I will put out the request
to The Friends as there may be a collector in their midst who can help.

Another avenue would be to contact Wedgwood Waterford who bought
Edinburgh Crystal - they may have an archivist who can help

Regards

Barbara

I have already emailed Waterford as the Lady suggests and will see what happens. What do you think of the Thomas Webb connection ?

Pete. :-)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 08:37:25 AM »
Hello Pete  -  don't think you ever explained the reason why you believe your four E. & L. glasses were from 1929  -  to me it sounds a tall order to be able to pin the manufacturing date to one particular year - but for all I know maybe you have the original receipt ;D
Looking again at Woodward's book, he states that E. & L. became part of Webb's in 1921, and in view of Barbara's email comments to you, she thinks it is 'probable' that all of the E. & L. patterns, from that date until possibly 1964 when Crown House bcame involved, would be in the Thomas Webb pattern books.       This may be so, and would be a quite logical assumption, but I'm not that clued up to know - we need someone with far more knowledge.                 
These two factories were some distance apart - Stourbridge and Edinburgh - but record keeping was usually thorough, although I assume the pattern books were kept at Stourbridge. 

I'm unsure from Barbara's other comments, if she is suggesting that the Webb archives are currently with Wedwood Waterford  -  I think you'd have to ask the lady if she can be more specific on that matter.

As we've said, running these patterns down can be very time consuming and often fruitless.       Probably fair to say there have been more individual drinking glass patterns produced than any other type of glass ware - if you take the last three hundred years say.      Looking just at the better known names that can sometimes be found on glasses  -   Webb, E. & L., Edinburgh, Stuart, Webb Corbett, Tudor, Walsh, Royal Doulton  -  you'd probably need a few lifetimes to get anywhere half serious with pinning them down.

Agree with you, cut glass can be beautiful and desireable  -  unfortunately few people here seem to collect.   

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 10:17:36 AM »
The reason I say 1929 is very simple, I havent looked at the dates for the mark and 1929 is in the area of, now I have looked again  ;D, the dates for the E & L mark 1927 to 1939. I have a bad memory sorry for confusion  ;D ;D
  I mentioned the 4 glasses in this post and I think she meant that Waterford might be able to help. I had a reply from Waterford saying she is passing my email and pictures to the right people to help. I have looked at some Webb Crystal patterns out of curiosity and as with other companies there are similar patterns. Its a real problem. If a company like the Replacement site cant find a lot of patterns the few of us on here may take a little longer but it keeps the grey cells moving, mine go to sleep so easily  ;D
  I would love to collect to keep. I keep a pair of wine glasses for a drink, currently Royal Scot Saturn,  the Waterford pair I had  >:( , my sister obliged in breaking one first and said she, would replace it until she saw the price lol, then I hit the tap washing the other. took a week to throw the broken bits ! I picked up a nice pair of Gleneagles St Andrews pattern yesterday for a £1. Got to love Charity Shops  ;D
   I know very little about crystal and a lot less than you so I do appreciate the time and knowledge. I will let you know if I find anything else. Thanks Paul.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 01:00:32 PM »
morals of the story...........don't let you sister use your glasses.........and don't wash them under the tap whilst peed. ;)
Charity shops have been good, at least until a year or two back, although they are now but a shadow of their former wealth of goodies.

Also, never knock your own knowledge - it's likely you're a lot better on crystal glasses than many others here  -  keep up the good work, and do remember to show pix here of any new pieces that you can attribute.

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 01:17:05 PM »
Very true about the Charity Shops. Slim Pickings, The Ditchfield vase was a surprise to find and surprisingly rewarding  :) Car boots if you get in early are OK. I hear the words "they were my grans" and im drawn in  ;D A few Dealer types in there as well but I know they can't know everything. I will post a few I have over teh next few days. I'm getting quite a library that I am still working on as I tend not to rename the pics. Thanks.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 03:12:04 PM »
We have a small but growing crystal patterns album on GlassGallery if you'd like to help populate it, Pete. :)
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/thumbnails.php?album=734
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 04:56:37 PM »
I have registered, will post some soon.  Replacements replied that they generate the code where the pattern name is unknown. seems they don't know quite a few. ;D

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 05:03:50 PM »
You've been activated as well Pete, so you're all set to go. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 11:58:56 AM »
An American has bid on these glasses. I asked if she knew anything, she replied that she didn't know the pattern but had some E & L in this Pattern. I will see if I can get a picture. The chase goes on & on & on  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand