No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stourbridge? any ideas  (Read 2044 times)

Offline Highlandmack

• Members
  • Is it me or are glass windows a pane
Re: Stourbridge? any ideas
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 05:53:38 AM »
Hi Bernard
Oh dear just when I thought it was solved
I am amazed at your knowledge
obviously glass collecting is not as simple as I first thought
I have taken your advice and I have sent an enquiry in the first instance to the Broadfiield house museum
I will wait until they contact me as to what to do next
Once again thankyou for your help
Regards Alan

PS sorry MOD for copyright infringement never gave it a thought

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 06:22:44 AM »
Alan — To get the best out of Broadfield House, I suggest an old-fashioned letter with prints of your pictures, including the base.   My approach to looking for similarities is to examine all the various cuts, so four views, one from each side might help, as it might be a match on a particular type of foliage or border that's important.   Also I suggest you enclose a large sae for their reply, minimising their costs.

Thanks for your kind comments, but I assure you that there are many others with far more knowledge than me.

Regards,

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Highlandmack

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 01:27:24 PM »
Hi Bernard
Have contacted Broadfield House and awaiting reply
I will inform you of the result
many thanks Alan

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 09:51:50 AM »
Alan — More on Swayne and Wood.   Quoting Hajdamach II, starting p.11:

• Charlie Swayne was photographed in his workshop on The Delph in Brierley Hill during the 1920s, a tradition carried on by Tom Wood in the 1950s, and to the present day by ....
  • So a 1930s overlap is quite likely.

Plates 21 and 23 are of Swayne and Wood at work in their respective backyard workshops, while plate 22 is of a willow pattern decanter by Swayne.   Although the detail is not too clear, the pattern looks similar enough to your piece to suggest that yours was by Charlie Swayne.

I'm looking forward to the verdict from Broadfield House.

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Highlandmack

• Members
    « Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 04:29:31 PM »
    Hi Bernard
    thankyou for the information (I think I need to buy this book)
    now in conclusion I have just received this email from the Broadfield House museum.
    Good afternoon Alan,

Thank you for your enquiry your cased vase/carafe,I think this Royal Brierley 1930,s if not that,its an independent cutter/engraver of the same period I don’t know who may have done the work because unless these pieces are signed one never finds out its only guess work.If you happen to visit the museum sometime please bring it with you I would love to see it! its such a beautiful piece.

Sorry I do not have lot of information.

Kind regards.

Please feel free to add anymore information you may have.
    Kind regards  Alan

Offline Bernard C

• Members
    « Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 07:16:39 AM »
    Alan — puzzling.   If so then how did Roger Dodsworth attribute the decanter in BGbtW, probably the same item that's pictured in Hajdamach II?   I appreciate that museums have to be cautious, but Broadfield House does offer an identification service, which has to be considerably more than "if it's not signed we don't know"!

If you look at the two published photographs you will see that Tom Wood certainly wasn't copying Charlie Swayne.   The two men had their own styles.   In various respects your carafe/vase matches the Swayne decanter.   Note particularly the lowest band of decoration on the two which is a very close match.   I can't find any matching motifs on the Wood basket shown in Leibe/Hayhurst.

As for who made the blank I can't really help.   If it was RB(S&W) then the clear blank was pattern 13567, dating back to early C20 or even earlier, but a blue cased version might have been given a different pattern number.    Obviously if RB(S&W) was selling the finished carafe, then it's reasonable to assume that the blank came from RB(S&W).

Bernard C.  8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
    Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
    link to glass encyclopedia
    Visit the Online Glass Museum
    link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand