No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: pressed dish with carp in high relief.  (Read 3856 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
pressed dish with carp in high relief.
« on: June 17, 2012, 03:38:18 PM »
although of no commercial value, this is far too appealing to bin, and so thought I'd share with all.    The goldfish/carp are very well modelled, and obviously the mould maker was a good artist, although sadly the damage has annihilated the piece.    Not an ashtray, neither I don't think part of a trinket set - probably just a small bon bon dish for sweets or whatever.        Not sure what the colour should be called.............smoke??       smokey amber??
Did think I was going to find it on the Sklo Union CD, but can't see it......expect everyone will instantly now tell me where to look - thought it was going to be Inwald/Rosice/Barolac.         Almost 2" - 50mm tall, and appears to have three mould seams.       
This was just one of several broken or cracked things from early this morning - one more to share soon.            thanks for looking. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: pressed dish with carp in high relief.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 06:14:31 PM »
Got a green one of these,if I remember right it was German,Schlevogt,excuse spelling,I'll go look it up ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 06:19:31 PM »
......and very uranium ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 06:44:05 PM »
well I'm hugely envious.  Those are gorgeous!

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 07:06:25 PM »
thanks very much Keith  -  the only Schlevogt images I had to hand were the 'Ingrid' series in the Truit's book.    That uranium example is very mouth watering. :)         From what source did you get the provenance?

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 08:51:09 PM »
On here from Mosquito(Steven) it was some time ago,posted under 'uranium fish bowl' he said it may have been Desna and should have a lid ;D,i'll see if I can find and post the link, ;D

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 08:59:59 PM »

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 09:16:41 PM »
thanks very much Keith - also to Steven, of course. :)        I think that the identical stylized bubbles, showing on both pieces, go to prove the match, although I don't get the impression that mine is that modern - just a tragedy with such a vast amount of damage.       It was Lalique, as you can imagine, that first came to mind when I saw it this morning.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 06:27:15 AM »
It probably isn't the modern version

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 08:48:14 AM »
A possiblity in view of the colour perhaps - and the wear.

Just as a matter of interest  -  If you scroll towards the bottom of Steven's link, the bowl is shown with a lid (with nude figure), possibly a cream container  -  and then a little further down on the same side it appears again as a stand alone bowl.

When looking through the Truitt's book previously, I'd assumed that the name 'Ingrid' applied solely to the malachite sort of lapis and jade coloured pieces, which I think is the only Schlevogt material in their book.          Now I'm not so sure that assumption is correct, as there are other pieces in Steven's link in clear and frosted glass (like this carp bowl) which certainly aren't in green glass.    Perhaps someone can comment please.

The Truitt's do comment in their book that Schlevogt had been very impressed by the quality of Lalique's pressed glass, and apparently he was determined to try and reproduce this in his 'Ingrid' series.        After removal from the moulds, pieces were further worked in an attempt to 'accentuate the relief and remove all traces of the seams'.          Obviously, they didn't get around to my bowl ;)

Isn't that bathroom and fireplace, in jade green, mind blowing  -   sadly probably now doesn't exist.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand