No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Venini Mezza Filigrana Vase  (Read 2420 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Venini Mezza Filigrana Vase
« on: June 20, 2012, 10:32:43 AM »
I've this cylindrical vase decorated in purple mezza filigrana, with engraved signature and date for 1983 to the base. I had always assumed that it was an in-house 'Studio Venini' design from the mid-late 1970s, but recently I've spotted a few filigrana pieces designed by Scarpa around 1934 that were reproduced around the same time (1983-89 are the inscribed dates I've seen so far, and one with an acid-etched backstamp and label that would date it to a little earlier).

Just wondering if this might also be an old Scarpa shape that they pulled out of the archives.

Working against it is that I've scoured Carlo Scarpa: I vetri di Murano 1927-1947 and Carlo Scarpa: Glass of an Architect to no avail, nor did it pop up in the Blue Catalogue in Deboni - but these sources are far from complete.

Any ideas?

Thanks for looking.  :)

Offline ardy

• Members
Re: Venini Mezza Filigrana Vase
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 11:43:26 PM »
Not really anything positive but have a look at Cenedese. A friend of mine has a vase similar to this with a 'real' cenedese signature to the base.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 06:42:00 AM »
I'm confused.  ???

The vase is signed, labelled and definitely Venini - I can pull past auction results for about 5 vases in different heights and colours, also signed.

I was just wondering if it was a 1930s Scarpa design resurrected for 1970s/80s production, or an original 1970s 'Studio Venini' design (or, indeed, by another named designer working for Venini at this time).

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 07:00:07 AM »
I would think Wirkkala did it - at least the shape comes back in several of his designs and so does the mezza filigrana technique. It just is not in the books as far as i can see.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 07:17:13 AM »
Aye, Wirkkala used this shape around this period - with mezza filigrana, and sometimes in the same colour. But all the examples I've seen are combined with incalmo construction and are of a much more delicate glass (the glass on my vase isn't thick, but neither is it as feather-light as the Wirkkala-Venini pieces I've handled). I'd also expect to see a 'TW' monogram along with the factory/date signature.

Would be nice though! :)

Edit: Here's a good similar Wirkkala piece: http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7789449

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand