Author Topic: Got a bad feeling about this, real or fake Paul Ysart?  (Read 3301 times)

Offline Nick77

• Members
Got a bad feeling about this, real or fake Paul Ysart?
« on: June 21, 2012, 10:51:32 AM »
Got a nasty feeling this is a fake, the P does seem to be more orange than the Y?

Thanks
Nick

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
Re: Got a bad feeling about this, real or fake Paul Ysart?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 10:53:56 AM »
The P looks brown, the Y looks purple.
What is your opinion of the lampwork and the weight itself?
Cheers, Sue (M)

“All things are subject to interpretation. Whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.” Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 11:02:36 AM »
Frankly the lampwork and overall quality is stunning, if it is fake there was no need as its quality is good enough without putting a fake cane, just a bit worried having now seen some fakes on line.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 11:15:11 AM »
Have you checked out "Scotland's Glass"?

http://ysartglass.com/PaulYsart/PYover.htm
Cheers, Sue (M)

“All things are subject to interpretation. Whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.” Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • My Paperweights Website
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 12:19:04 PM »

Hi Nick

I was sure it was a fake, so I did not bid on it!

Alan
Alan
The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton. Please feel free to contact me direct if you do not agree with my comments and do not wish to make your concerns known by posting in this thread.
 http://www.pwts.co.uk

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 12:39:50 PM »
Then dropped Y is typical of the firtst batch of fakes PY weights from 1988
Dave

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 12:40:13 PM »
 ;D

I don't suppose there is a way of surgically extracting it to leave you with simply a very well executed weight, not pretending to be something else......
So; does anybody know who the highly skilled lampworker was?  ::)
Cheers, Sue (M)

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 01:17:54 PM »
I wouldn't necessarily say it was a dropped Y more so that the cane is squashed not completely round.What I had previously read was that genuine canes have the y formed as a V with the tail added fakes not so and this seemed to fit the V and tail. Yes left a bid not really expecting to get it and it was apparently at my maximum bid price. Hmmm.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 01:25:49 PM »
The flower lampwork is pretty much the same (except for the central cane) as in Example 06 shown in my page of example fake py weights. There are, however, a variety of different lampwork styles across the range of these items.

And the direct answer to Sue's question about who made the lampwork is that, amongst collectors, we do not know.

Although similarities may occasionally be seen with lampwork in other weights, such things cannot be taken to mean that a particular person produced all such elements. This is easily shown by comparing lampwork elements in genuine Paul Ysart weights from his 1970s period, where much of the lampwork was made by his apprentices but was of a form and quality very much like Paul's own work.
KevinH

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 01:33:17 PM »
Just as a matter of interest and I'm not trying to disprove this is a fake, but if the maker is not known how was it ascertained that these are fakes, especially as they do all seem to be pretty good quality from the photos and this one here?

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand