No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Gold Aventurine vase Is it Murano?  (Read 5130 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Gold Aventurine vase Is it Murano?
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 08:01:56 PM »
Hi

From looking at the style (very good pictures) and similar pieces I have, real and in book form I don't think you can rule out 1950s 'form and function'.

The shape is so well designed with the neck coming back in like a swan to balance the whole piece out - this is something 1950s Italian designers were very interested in, how far you could push the form while still keeping the item functional (sculptural objects aside).

It could well be earlier, this is just a suggestion.

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2006, 05:28:29 AM »
Hi Fredethel,
actually this looks like a Dino Martens piece.
I dont think Barovier made anything similar.
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass  Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2006, 06:31:12 AM »
Had it been taller I'd go along with the Dino Martens gooseneck style, but at 8.5" I can't find anything in similar shape anywhere near that small by Martens and I don't think the flambuoyant enough. Whatever it is it's providing some interesting suggestions and is the most interesting piece for a while and it's a great bit of glass.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2006, 08:46:48 AM »
Hey Paul,
Well, I dont think the size is that off, from the ones in the Martens book.
If you look at page 99, the piece there has a similar color and shape. It says it measures 22cm, but the ones next to it measure 20cm.
This one measures 8 1/2 inches, which is basically 20 to 21cm.
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass  Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2006, 09:44:45 AM »
it's a roman style copy, most roman piece i've seen have that kick up pontil
cheers Ray

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2006, 10:25:56 PM »
Hi all

Just back from Milan where I found an amazing book shop – this is a picture from one book I bought showing a Barovier & Toso vase from the ‘Eugenei’ series (10” high)  – it has an iridescent surface according to the book – designed by Ercole Barovier in 1952 – I think there were a few shapes in the ‘Eugenei’ series of different sizes and shapes – it is just something else to throw into the mix and show Barovier were well capable of making the posted vase.

Anyone else got a list of all the shapes in the ‘Eugenei’ series would be most helpful.

I was OK this time reference too much glass buying, I spent ages in the new Archimede Seguso shop and only bought two modest pieces LOL

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
    • http://planetglass.net
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2006, 03:46:42 AM »
Trust me, the vase is not a Eugeneo, and most probably not Barovier.  :roll:

Do tell, adam, what did you see in the way of reproductions? Are there fake Scarpas and Fugas everywhere?

Laura

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2006, 01:55:24 PM »
Hi Laura

I briefly popped into Venini and they are still doing Scarpa's 'serie batutti' as well as his other popular designs - I suppose they will never die.

There are always a lot of A.V.E.M. like Fuga designs in the cheaper shops. I only had a day after the furniture show and spent a brief amount of time in the gift shops.

Most of my time was spent in a second hand book shop with shelves of second hand books on Murano glass and it's designers, also many other non Italian glass books - amazing find

I got a great book on 'Every Day Glass - Aperto Vetro' it shows all the original glass makers sketches and is very interesting as it has a lot of vases and table ware from 1980s and 90s.

Also a book called 'Murano 900' Ltd edition of 1000 which has some amazing Murano glass in it.

I spent rest of my time at a few exhibitions and in Archimede Seguso which is obsessed with gold and silver leaf. I bought some animals and a paperweight - they had some fantastic takes on older designs but they were £400.00+ so I got a leaflet instead LOL.

Adam P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand