No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Walsh 'Pompeian' grapefruit dish.  (Read 4389 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Walsh 'Pompeian' grapefruit dish.
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 04:16:59 PM »
apologies rosie, had thought you were joking - in view of phone call now understand you have genuine tech. glitch.         Hope it gets sorted soon.:)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 08:39:09 AM »
Paul et al — See two early topics:Grateful thanks to Anne (I think) for a valiant attempt to save what she could from posts missing their images.

My apologies for an element of sloppiness in what I wrote.   For example I noted Walsh marks using lower case, when they are all upper case, now a punishment mat offence.  ;D

For some time I've known that Walsh regarded the Pompeian and Iridescent range patterns as interchangeable.   It may be that all coloured patterns were regarded as interchangeable, including Primrose and the one example of "Butterfly Blue".   This mirrors the way Walsh used the cut patterns, as I've seen several examples of blanks cut with different patterns to the one shown.   My signature range "Rainsford" atomiser is a particularly noteworthy example.

Finally, please pencil the caption correction noted into your copy of Reynolds.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 12:18:10 PM »
Bernard - many thanks for reproducing these past notes on bubbled material.       I do have one or two pieces of known Pompeian, but my deeper blue vase in this thread (unlike the blue of my grapefruit dish wich is marked) is still giving me some doubts.    It is without any depression where the pontil would have been detached, although it seems to have the remnants of of the pontil outline, plus much wear.   
I have another purple bowl which may also be Pompeian, although I'm not sure.

Bearing in mind your earlier comments............."If you can't find a mark, it is probably best to take it to a glass fair and ask for an opinion.   I doubt whether you will find anyone prepared to attribute it over the Internet"  ;)  -  you might care to take a look at both for me in September, at Cambridge  -  that is if you are going. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand