No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Baccarat cane question  (Read 2797 times)

Offline mildawg

• Members
Baccarat cane question
« on: June 23, 2012, 12:04:48 AM »
I have a undated modern scattered millefiori on muslin that I was looking at under magnefication and noted what appears to be a 8 with a dot under it on the outer edge of the libra/scales cane.  Just wondering if there is any significance to this?  Has anyone seen this before?  Is it nothing?

Please note, I am aware of the 8 cane in the 1958 weights and what that looks like, I have one.  I am looking for any clues that may date this weight.

Thanks in advance.

Looking at the posted pic it looks like there is "artifacts" at the 9-10 o'clock position.  I assure you the two individual canes in this postion have well defined edges unlike the "8" at the 1 o'clock position.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
Re: Baccarat cane question
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 08:04:57 PM »
The cane in your paperweight is Baccarat's Libra cane.  It looks like a balance scale.  You usually don't find them in the spaced millefiori, but they were used in the closepack millefiori or church weights made from 1959 on.  Most, but not all, of the spaced millefiori weights have a date cane that can sometimes be hard to decipher.  A sample signature cane is below

In 1951, a large closepack weight dated 1853 was found in the cornerstone of the parish church in Baccarat during restorations at the church.  The church had been damaged during World War II.  This rekindled an interest in making millefiori paperweights at Baccarat and the modern production of closepack weights started in 1958.  These new paperweights were called Church weights after the newly discovered antique weight.  The 1958 version had a figure 8.  Weights made after 1958 had a complete set of the signs of the zodiac and were signed with a date cane as well.

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mildawg

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 08:21:53 PM »
Thanks Allan,

The cane as a whole I am familar with.  What has me questioning this is the 8 with a dot under it that is on the outside of one of the individual purple canes (at approx. the 1 o'clock spot on the very outer edge of the libra cane).  Also, one thing you stated that I thought was the case is that all 12 zodiac signs appear in the weights after 1958.  This one only has 5 of the signs.  There is no date or date cane anywhere in this piece, I have been all over it with a magnifier.

Thanks

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 08:48:59 PM »

I have a medium size closepack paperweight that appears to be made from 1950s - 1960s Baccarat canes, but it is clearly not a production item.  I suspect a few pieces came out through the back door....

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 03:40:28 PM »
That was my mistake.  I couldn't see the figure 8 canes you were referring to.  Now I understand. 

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 09:49:06 PM »
Looking at it from a logical viewpoint only, the multicane is not correct in more than one way.
   The two /one pattern circle of canes as it should be is not correct and there is an extra cane at about 5 o'clock.  The 1 o'clock cane under consideration has this 8 cane which is really a figment of the imagination, not an 8. 
      This of course is only my opinion. The dating of the weight I can not help with.    Regards Roger.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand