No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: thos webb cameo vase pattern id please?  (Read 6831 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: thos webb cameo vase pattern id please?
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 10:28:47 PM »
I think what I was thinking was.. perhaps it was accepted in the glass world at that time that if it wasn't carved then it wasn't consider 'real'cameo.  Perhaps that is why it was called 'pseudo cameo'? It's still cameo, it's just that the method of achieving the effect was not the 'pure' process of it being hand carved.
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 10:58:14 PM »
I was only quoting Mr. Hajdamach.........who says of this Cameo Fleur........... "this is the range which is often wrongly called 'Pseudo-Cameo'.
I didn't write the book ;) ;)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 11:17:52 PM »
I had a look and couldn't see there was an explanation as to why it was 'wrongly called 'pseudo cameo''.  Was it wrongly called that because there was another range/technique that really was called or referred to as 'pseudo cameo' and this range of Cameo Fleur was incorrectly referred to as it.  Or was it wrongly referred to as 'pseudo cameo' because it really is cameo and therefore not 'pseudo'. 
m

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 12:43:11 AM »
Think it's just one of those words that got used without thinking,early (Woodall cameo etc..) was carved by hand but they also used hydrofluric acid 'cut-back' which was used in fleur cameo so I'm rambling and can't remember what I'm talking about,time I was in bed ::) ;D ;D The time above says 12:43 but it is 1:43,I'm really tired and now confused ;D

Offline Cazza

• Members
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 06:42:02 AM »
Thank you to everyone who has helped, looks like I got a bargain then.
Cazza

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 08:09:09 PM »
Cazza, does yours have a "Webb" mark as part of the design? If not, it could just as easily be Richardson.

As for "values" of these, 15 years ago, they could be bought at UK fairs for around £200-300, but for some reason they gained in interest and £600 was sometimes asked. I saw one at that high price and as soon as I was seen looking at it, the dealer immediately offered it to me for £300. I did not buy it.

I do, however, have an example marked "Webb" which is not so tall, has a wide rim and has what I think is Tulip decoration.
KevinH

Offline Cazza

• Members
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2012, 09:43:14 PM »
Hi Kevin
Yes its got the Webb mark like those for sale only its on the foot of the vase, it is a clear mark no colour in it and its 9 1/2" high  and also has the made in england Webb mark in the center of the base.
Cazza

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2012, 10:52:04 PM »
Ok  :)
KevinH

Offline Cazza

• Members
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2012, 09:25:55 AM »
Fieldings valued £300 - £500 in good condition.
Am a very happy bunny
Many thanks
Cazza

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2012, 03:33:52 PM »
By coincidence I remembered to photograph this one today in a local antiques centre, the snaps are not the best as the vase is in a cabinet and the lighting is not good.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand