No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusual Glass which needs Identifying !!! Please help me!  (Read 3813 times)

Offline soundsnew

• Members
Unusual Glass which needs Identifying !!! Please help me!
« on: March 28, 2006, 09:27:54 AM »
Hello.

I am wanting to find out who made some interesting pieces of glass which I have in my collection and to date them also. I don't know too much about glass, I just know what I like when I see it. Can any of you online experts please assist? I would be very grateful.

Kind regards Soundsnew :)

http://i1.tinypic.com/sf9ro8.jpg  This one has it all. It has a white interior too.

http://i1.tinypic.com/sf9uag.jpg  This one has a white interior too.

http://i1.tinypic.com/sf9ug9.jpg  This is 14in tall

http://i1.tinypic.com/sf9unl.jpg This fellow has an concave round base.

http://i1.tinypic.com/sf9utc.jpg

[/img]

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 09:35:46 AM »
Hi and welcome to the board,

No. 1 Chinese, made by Dalian light Industries. I have one too, kindly ID'd by Ivo.
I would also hazard a guess that No. 2&5 are also Chinese.

The others I don't know, but look modern.
I am sure one of the more knowledgeable members will be along to help, or to correct me. :)
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 11:00:27 AM »
Could all be Chinese!  1 probably, 2 & 4 possibly, 3 could be Chalet (Canadian) and 5 could be Chinese, or could be modern Bohemian.  

A nice, bright, colourful collection!   :D  

Sorry I can't be more help, but I'm sure someone will be along soon who can be more specific  :roll:  :wink:
Leni

Offline bubbles

• Members
    • http://www.glassbudvases.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 11:15:31 AM »
Hi,
No. 5 I agree probably Chinese, I have been advised made by Zibo Zhaohai Light Industrial Products Ltd, in China, but unfortunately I have not been able to prove that. You can see 2 more in different colourways here:

www.glassbudvases.co.uk
Look in the Other Bud Vases section/Unidentified flower base

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 11:31:38 AM »
I've got a couple of those flower based bud vases.  One is definitely better designed and made than the other.  I agree with Leni that the one here has a Bohemian feel...I think it's that speckly chunk of yellow/red at the base, eh?  I can't be sure though - could be Chinese as Leni said!  :?

Does the fourth one, the 'hankerchief' style green one, have a little circular sunken polished bit underneath the base?  I think it could be Italian if so.  Probably a little older than the rest.  Just a guess though.
I am not a man

Offline soundsnew

• Members
Thanks for all your help so far!!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 12:48:49 PM »
:D Hi all.

I am over the moon with all your information so far.

Thanks DELLA, LENI, PAT & MAX. I am pleased to find out more about my pieces.

Pat, I had just come from visiting your great site as I was trying to find out about another stem vase which I havent posted a picture of. It appears to be a Jaffe Rose type. Good site, now bookmarked for future reference.

Max , indeed the green handercheif vase has an indented round base as you suspected.

No takers for vase 3 origin. It is a hugh heavy vase approx 14in (36cm) tall and weighs a tons.

Any more info is definately welcome. Thanks guys and girls.

Kind regards
Martin

:D

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 12:55:20 PM »
Martin

IMHO I'd put your green hankerchief vase at anywhere between 1955-70 (not much help, eh? lol), and Italian production.  I have to confess I'm not even sure about this though, as this style of vase was so popular that many different companies produced it through the years.

Sorry not to be more help, but you've found the right place for glass lovers at least.   :D
I am not a man

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: Thanks for all your help so far!!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 12:58:39 PM »
Quote from: "soundsnew"
No takers for vase 3 origin. It is a hugh heavy vase approx 14in (36cm) tall and weighs a tons.

This style could be from Murano, or it could be Chalet Glass, from Canada.  I have a feeling there's another possiblity, but at the moment just those two come to mind   :roll:
Leni

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 06:02:55 PM »
:D:D:D

As Frank recently put me right on this one, Leni, in another thread, the other makers of quality organic stuff like No. 3 are French and Belgian!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand