No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Date for Sowerby Celery Vase .  (Read 2949 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Date for Sowerby Celery Vase .
« on: June 26, 2012, 08:58:47 PM »
A nice Sowerby designed celery vase, but not finding it easy to read date lozenge.

Marked with Sowerby peacock trade mark with a very small date lozenge at the bottom of the vase.

Using a small glass to magnify the lozenge I can easily read the day of month 6 , month H and parcel number 13. The year is not clear and looks like A for 1871 although it also looks like a cross between an A and 4.

I would think this pattern must have been made in other designes and other pieces may have a clearer date lozenge which is easier to read.

I will keep trying to match the most likely dates

Thanks Roy

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Date for Sowerby Celery Vase .
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 09:30:07 PM »
Nice piece Roy - regret I've not seen this pattern previously.             I'm struggling to match the details you speak of  -  there is a Sowerby parcel 13 for June 20th 1873, but failing that regret I can't help.         Parcel 13 is rather few and far between in the earlier years, and there certainly isn't one for the whole of 1871.         There aren't any figures used for year codes in the second diamond period.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 09:38:56 PM »
Thanks Paul

I 've been struggling to and have been trying to match only 2 . I know mistakes can be made but the day and month 6 April look clear but no Sowerby piece in the English Pressed Glass book parcel number 13 also looks good . I will have another look tomorrow.

Sowerby trade mark very clear if that was not there I would have said Percival Vickers or Molineaux and webb at a guess.

I also cannot remember seeing another piece in this pattern either.

Thanks Roy

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 12:20:09 AM »
Hello

This celery is shown in Pattern Book XI as pattern 1713.  Interestingly, there is no registration diamond shown with it in the pattern book.

Sid

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 07:44:11 PM »
well spotted Sid  -  certainly seems to be a good match, it appears on page 18 in section one.    It's just occured to me Roy that like one or two other items which have recently been found missing from the lists of pressed glass registrations - this may have been overlooked by recorders such as Thompson and Slack etc. if it was fist registered wrongly as class 4, and not 3 for glass.    You may well be reading the details correctly from the lozenge, but please tell us which class is shown at the top.
I can have a look in the Registers when next I visit Kew - just to see if it is in fact recorded in books.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 09:43:15 PM »
Thanks Paul and Sid

I have had a good look it is class 111 so correct and I am sure it reads 6th April 1871 parcel 13, although a slightly strange A for the year , but there are no other options for 6 April.

Looking through Raymond Slack's book page 32 it does show a toast rack with trade mark and date lozenge but the item was not officially registered as it does not appear in the Registers at the Public Record Office.

Also if 1871 is correct it would be an early registered item so will keep an open mind .

Sid is it possible to estimate a year if shown in pattern book X1 pattern 1713.

Thanks Roy

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 10:28:08 PM »
Roy

Their #1672 was registered in December 1881 so I would guess that your celery (#1713) would be 1882/3 which doesn't line up with the registration mark at all.

Sid

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 08:23:18 PM »
Roy, not sure if you were saying that you'd been to Kew and looked in the Registers, but without success  -  or not. :-\

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 04:59:53 PM »
Thanks Sid and Paul

Paul I have not been to Kew and looked maybe I should one day , Sid I will check the date yea again later but it seems not to match any year unlees they have some of the letters and numbers wrong

Roy

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 09:00:54 PM »
I have checked the lozenge again with my wife and it is 100% 6th April parcel number 13 , the year letter does look  almost certainly like a back to front 4.

Roy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand