No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Seguso lobed globe lamp bases - what type of shade?  (Read 3437 times)

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
Seguso lobed globe lamp bases - what type of shade?
« on: June 27, 2012, 08:53:43 AM »
I have a pair of the lobed globe shaped Seguso lamp bases - in gold - which turn quite a bright green under fluoro lights.  I want to use them as bedside lamps in my spare room. - Ones like this ebay link  I mean  (my desktop computer has crashed and I have no photos on my laptop)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MURANO-vintage-1950s-ruby-cased-glass-lobed-lamp-base-Seguso-/190684665340?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item2c65b115fc

I need to put shades on them - but cannot work out what shape looks best.

Can anyone suggest what would look good? or show me a pic of yours with shade??

I have no decorating skills whatsoever - I concede that point before we start . If it is not glass I don't love it!

Seeking inspiration!    Thanks

Jackie
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
Re: Seguso lobed globe lamp bases - what type of shade?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 12:55:01 PM »
Im no designer either  ;D but think mixing modern with vintage is popular, tall cylinder shade just about touching the globe and about the same width as the base would look good IMHO only  ;D ;D
Pete. :-)

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 10:30:57 PM »
I have 2 of these lamps and shades, it is not easy. If you want to make it simple then put on a white conical (standard) shade that is about 280mm around base - make sure it covers any globe particularly low energy ones. On another alabastro one I have a square base white one similar size and that looks OK.

I have a couple of large Seguso lamps and I have been looking for those 50's tall, tapering cylinder shades but in 12 months of looking I cannot find any.

Attached is a photo of one of my larger 35cm Seguso lamps, looking stupid as it waits for a 50's shade.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 11:47:18 PM »
Thanks for your suggestions Pete and Ardy - much appreciated.
I have taken one with me to the shops to try shades but still haven't found anything suitable. Most shades available are just too big. Both of your suggestions sound good, - I just need to find shades to try them out!

Thanks again

Jackie
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 02:57:38 AM »
Hi Jackie one last thing.

I meant to mention that I have tried shades in matching colours and it doesn't seem to work, they look like something out of a bordello (if they are red). You also lose a lot of light.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 03:06:41 AM »
Thanks Ardy,  - as these are gold in daylight and quite a bright green under fluoro light I was going to stay neutral with the colour anyway - cream or white preferably :-) 

Have even tried to buy lampshade frames and cover them myself - but no luck in finding any the right shape there either.  :(

Jackie

jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 11:01:43 PM »
I prefer these with plain drum shaped cylinder shades, ie straight up and down but silk covered as they match the opulence of the glass.  I have a lavender and gold Murano base and searched interminably for a shade eventually finding a just off white silk one, drum shaped,  that is perfect (found in a charity shop for £1 unbelievably).  Unfortunately I've no photo of it I don't think, and the shade is on loan to a friends house at the moment whilst she is selling it.
m

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 01:45:14 AM »
Thanks M

Have been looking at how to make my own lampshade frames now - amazing what you can find on the net! I may resort to doing that - to get the right shape. The advantage of that is that then I can choose my own fabric and possibly use a silk to look richer. Cream outside lined with pale gold maybe?  If they look good I may have to keep them for my own bedroom, never mind the spare room!

Whatever eventuates I will post a photo when (if) I ever get them done  ;D

Thanks everyone.
from a chilly Perth in the depths of winter! Only 3C this morning  - but will be 21 later - and sunny all day 
AK
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 10:25:29 AM »
Your local  charity shops will have lots of garment made of silk if you look hard enough but be careful of putting any material on a lampshade too close to that bulb, although with these Bl##dy energy bulbs you could make one out of live matchsticks  ;D ;D ;D I have covered a footstool in leather and an Ottoman in denim (for a friend) from charity shop finds and they do usually have a fair few shades in them. A photo of the finished item would be good  ;)
Pete. :-)

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 11:46:30 AM »
What a good idea! I will go and look at the weekend.
I have donated enough over the years - would be good to find some really nice material.

Thanks Petet.

Jackie
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum