No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Who made these?  (Read 1480 times)

Offline Nick77

• Members
Who made these?
« on: July 03, 2012, 02:11:47 PM »
This lot sold today for £800 (not to me), of the back three the middle I'm sure is Whitefriars but who made the other two especially the odd shaped right hand back one?
 Estimate was £50 -80 :o

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/gildings-auctioneers/catalogue-id-2861250/lot-14769387

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Who made these?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 05:24:35 PM »

Hi Nick.

The back right is a modern Saint-Louis basket issued in 1981.  The pink flower on a white ground is also modern Saint-Louis.  The basket weights used to fetch high hundreds, and some people are still asking that sort of price (or occasionally more), but one sold recently in the US for under £500. What bothered me was that most of the weights had minor chips to the facets, and the Saint-Louis flower had some minor scratches.  The basket weight was okay though.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Nick77

• Members
Re: Who made these?
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 08:56:56 AM »
Hi Alan

Thanks for that, I didn't spot the auction listing in time to get a condition report or find out what they were, but watched them soar away.

Nick

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand