No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: What's it called again? Drinking Glass thingy  (Read 2427 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
What's it called again? Drinking Glass thingy
« on: March 28, 2006, 08:35:56 PM »
Is this an old drinking glass?

Quite a big one, slight grey tinge to the glass, rings like a bell, Rough pontil, lots of striathons and a few large bubbles. A few white bits inside the glass also.

Weighs 570g (not kg) and measures 8.75 inches high.

Old or new?

Thanks.  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 09:09:17 PM »
It looks like it :wink:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline liberty1

• Members
Glass Thingy!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 10:05:49 PM »
For what its worth TC this looks as if it might be a firing glass and I think Georgian or early Victorian. How thick is the foot?
P.S. Mind you I know next to nothing but I am good at guessing!!
Cheers
Doris

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 10:26:19 PM »
Thank you, the foot is approx 0.4mm thick.  :o
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 05:44:35 AM »
wouldn't it be a bit large for a firing glass?

Offline liberty1

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 08:37:04 AM »
Yes Ivo it is a bit large for a firing glass I should have taken notice of the size. Sorry TC.
Cheers
Doris

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 10:16:23 AM »
Oh, perhaps it's just a big wine glass.

Offline roget123

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 07:19:23 PM »
TC, this is old, I am not certain just how old, but it would be at least 150 years or maybe 250 years.  It is a wine glass, trumpet bowl, plain stem on a conical foot.

In my first flush of collecting I started with 18th c drinking glasses until the price of those drove me to more recent and cheaper glassware.  One of my early purchases was a copy of L. M Bickerton's book (read bible) "Eighteenth Century English Drinking Glasses an Illustrated Guide"This covers virtually every known shape and style of drinking glasses made in the 18thC. To quote Bickerton on the subject of plain stems,
'Though plain-stemmed glasses, many of them of simple, heavy manufacturer for tavern use, persist throughout the middle fifty years of the century and form the least avidly collected group, they display surprising variety. The majority have trumpet bowls, the stem often enlivened by a long tear and occasionally by the addition of collars. No problems of description are encoiuntered save that of distinguishing between two- and three-piece glasses. In the two-piece form the bowl and stem are clearly made form the same gathering of metal, no weld or joint between bowl and stem being either visible or possible'.

However, on your glass the foot does not appear to fully meet the usual 18thC design of being equal to or greater than the diameter of the bowl rim. But as there seems to be some damage to the rim, it is possible that the foot was also damaged and has been ground down.  If that is so then the glass is most likely to be 18thC.  However, the Victorians also made good reproductions of some 18thC styles the plain stem being one of those.  In such a case then the foot would follow the 19thC pattern of being smaller than the Bowl rim, which if that is the case of yours, then lose around a 100 years in its age.

Whatever, it is old, and as Ivo states it is far too big to be a firing glass and the foot too fragile as well.

Bickerton's book was published by the Antique Collectors' Club and should still be available if anyone wishes to buy one
GeoffT
Geoff Timberlake
Glass Anorak !!!

Offline B & M

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 08:18:03 PM »
To my mind, the proportions suggest 19th or maybe even early 20th century. As Geoff states, the foot is too small and the whole glass just doesn't seem to stand right for an 18th century piece.

Of course, I could be wrong & it is very difficult to tell from a photograph where the proportions may be distorted, etc. Still an attractive glass though.

Steven

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 10:21:52 PM »
Thank you for your help. I'm quite surprised to find that this is actually old. I never thought I'd find one.

The bowl rim is 11.1cm diameter and the foot rim is 10.5cm diameter

The bowl (to me) doesn't look like it's been ground, however, the foot rim is rough and flat on one side. I measured it from the centre to the rim and found that one side is larger than the other. So yes, I think it has been ground on one side of the foot rim and also probably on the bottom of it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand