No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: What's it called again? Drinking Glass thingy  (Read 2431 times)

Offline 18thCGlass

• Members
  • 17th, 18th & 19th Century Glass
    • Cotswold Antiques and Glass
Re: What's it called again? Drinking Glass thingy
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 11:58:05 AM »
Hi

A somewhat belated response! :D Your glass is a Georgian plain stem wine goblet C1740-50. The general addage with Georgian glass is that the foot should be wider than the bowl; but there are limits when it comes to goblets. An overly large foot would be cumbersome and it is not unusual to find a large goblet (and yours is large) to have a foot the same size or smaller than the bowl. The foot does look like it has had some restoration though? You should find a fairly consistent profile to the foot edge to both the upper and lower surface and you should also be able to follow the tooling marks all the way around the underside of the foot. Any polished 'flats' are obviously suspect and any hazy' area's (pumice haze from restoration) are also signs that the foot has been fiddled with  :( You would also expect to see appropriate and consistent wear all the way around the bearing surface at the edge. The bowl rim looks fine.

Looks like a nice glass. If un-restored and you still have it; I'll buy it!

Trev.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Dettmer

• Members
    • Antique Glass Dealer
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 07:30:53 AM »
Hi Trev, how you going.  :thup:

I'm well chuffed to see you sharing your top class knowledge. This board is going to benefit so much from you being here.

Cheers

Dettmer

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline 18thCGlass

• Members
  • 17th, 18th & 19th Century Glass
    • Cotswold Antiques and Glass
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 10:22:06 AM »
Thanks Sean. Nice to be able to contribute something every now and then. I struggle myself occassionally and folk here are very helpful. I thought I'd try and build up the karmic bank balance a bit! :-[

Trev.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand