No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help deciphering Kosta Code on large cut glass dish/bowl  (Read 2236 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Help deciphering Kosta Code on large cut glass dish/bowl
« on: July 04, 2012, 11:12:22 AM »
Hi All,

Large Kosta shallow dish/bowl with cut fan shaped pattern to the underside, which runs up round the side to the rim.

11 inches in diameter and 2 inches tall, weighs approx 2kg.

When tilted has a smoky purple hue to the glass.

Marked to the side, with what appears to be the following code ''BC 38 Kosta''

Having a little bit of difficulty trying to work out the code/lettering. Any help greatly received.

Greg
 :)

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Help deciphering Kosta Code on large cut glass dish/bowl
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 12:56:05 PM »
The B indicates it was an Elis Bergh design and the number may be 638 or o38 and would represent a model number.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 03:10:24 PM »
Many thanks Ross.

I was initially thinking it may have been Elis Bergh, although the second letter/number confused me a little, as it certainly looks more like the letter 'C' rather than the number '6'. However, the number 6  would certainly make more sense in terms of the Kosta's codes/marks.

I guess this piece would date to sometime in the 30s or possibly 40s, is it  possible to establish a year of production or narrower time frame from the model number..? I can't seem to find a date/time frame for this specific model number.....

Many thanks
Greg
 :)

Offline acote

• Members
    • Art Glass
    • US
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 09:57:06 PM »
Hi Greg,

The number 638 would be valid, and would date the design to 1934.  Some of his pieces were brought back into production in the 1950s, but I belive an 'H' was added to 'B' to be consistent with the numbering used by Lindstrand.

Aaron

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand