Author Topic: Scottish Italian Paperweight?  (Read 1855 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Scottish Italian Paperweight?
« on: March 29, 2006, 01:30:34 AM »
Hi

An interesting paperweight here – 2.5” diam, 2” high – flat polished base with quite nice canes. In fact a well made paperweight, Italian (Venice /Murano) manufacture I can tell from the canes/cane colours and glass.

The label is interesting – silver foil of 1960s / 70s type with appropriate wear ‘Edinburgh – Italy – International – Hand Cut’ with Scottish lion rampant in the middle. Anyone know this label, I feel its an exporter/importer into Scotland rather than a manufacturing concern over in Italy.

(http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/6663/pweighta1ew.th.jpg)

The ‘Hand – Cut’ bit is rather mystifying and I thought it may be an Edinburgh Cut Crystal label stuck on, but there are the words ‘International’ and ‘Italian’ – I also feel this label has been on since production.

Anybody have any ideas

Thanks

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 06:56:32 AM »
As you may be aware, Edinburgh crystal retailed a range of very nice lampwork and millefiore paperweights made on their behalf by Caithness. Sometime in the 80s - (am at work so I havent got my book).  However I think this arrangement lasted for a year or two at most. I have seen a few Italian paperweights like this one badged as Edinburgh so it is very likely that at some time they entered into a similar marketing/badging arrangement - to augment  their range without needing to manufacture.  Will look for details of the others tonight
Martin

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 12:50:16 PM »
Why not ask the company?
Frank A.
Please help preserve glass web-sites for posterity by donating to The Glass Study Association a non-profit organisation.
Scotland's Glass - Ysart Glass
Glass Zoo - Glass Study.COM
Commercial Czech

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 01:04:44 PM »
Hi Frank

That is a good idea :idea:

I will email them today - I can even phone them as the main office is only a few miles away.

I tested the label with a knife at the corner and the glue has turned to dust - if someone has attached this it must have been years ago.

'Hand Cut' though, they must have been desperate for labels if they were importing these from Italy.

I am looking forward to anything you turn up Martin

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 08:16:10 PM »
i have one the same on ebay at the mo, but on my label it says import and not italy
cheers Ray

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 08:24:11 PM »
Thanks Ray

Any chance of a link to it?

Adam P

Offline RAY

• Members
cheers Ray

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 08:49:45 PM »
Ray

That is fantastic

Your Paperweight like mine is of Italian manufacture but retailed through Edinburgh Crystal.

The label is identical but for one word and it has 'hand-cut' on it.

There must be a good story behind this.

Adam P

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 10:12:32 PM »
yep i will, i just got a nice WF glass off ebay
cheers Ray

Offline RAY

• Members
cheers Ray

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand