No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: can anyone help a novice? Chance Glass anniversary plate  (Read 3159 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: can anyone help a novice? Chance Glass anniversary plate
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 04:22:18 PM »
As explained I'm pretty sure that Chance or Fiesta Glass never made such a plate. I'll keep checking, but nothing in my records shows one so far.

Getting one made specially is a possibility, but ideally the enamel transfer would need to be "fired on" and I very much doubt Tesco could do this... This is where the plate is heated to about 700 deg C so that the enamels get fixed to the glass, otherwise it could rub off or be more susceptible to scratching. This could prove to be a problem - not least financially.

Chance and Fiesta would only ever produce custom trays on a minimum run of 250 pieces, but times have changed. For example, after searching on the internet I notice that vehicle sign printers will print to glass, although whether that would produce a satisfactory finish is unknown.

I imagine a gold finish is possible, although I know these were never fired on as the gilt Chance & Fiesta used is actually gold and not an enamel. Perhaps a 'gold finish' has been reformulated to a much better standard?

However, as an industrial process I can't guarantee that any company would be prepared to do all this for just a single plate.

Sourcing a blank glass plate is the other hurdle. If you wanted one with the wavy edge, then it might be an idea to look for a Chance/Fiesta plate that has just a border decoration and get a transfer made for the centre. No idea who could make a slumped blank otherwise.

So plenty of ideas - not necessarily easy, possible, or cost-effective! Anyone with other ideas?
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 01:52:53 AM »
I still think that using the generic Chance Wedding Anniversary plate and having the numbers added is probably the most feasible option.  It would be in keeping with the others in the series.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 04:14:31 PM »
The problem here is that there probably isn't a suitable plate. Having looked through all the scans I have of the promotional cards, there are
  • Golden, Ruby, Pearl and Silver (text used, so not suitable)
  • Golden Ruby and Silver - no text, but little room for numbers
  • As above, from the 'Jewel' range, but numbers present
  • A large generic 'Wedding Anniversary' oval plate with wavy edge and floral decoration (a yellow rose) where numbers could be added

• I'm not saying this is the definitive list, but that's all the information I have.

35th is Coral, so I suppose a Silver or Pearl could be adapted, if there was room for the numbers. 45th is Sapphire, but no such plate exists. I suppose Blue Greco (quite scarce) or similar could be used, but that's assuming there was room for numbers.

But what do you use for numbers? Stick-on ones would not look good. Letraset type would easily rub off, but are there gold or silver colours?
    David
    ► Chance Additions ◄
    The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
    Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
    • Global Moderator
    • Members
    • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
      • Glass trinket sets
      • Cumbria England
      • My Glass Collection
    « Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 12:54:26 AM »
    David, did you know that the generic Wedding Anniversary plate also comes in a round version - there was one in a charity shop in Morecambe a few weeks ago. Same design as my oval one, but round and wavy edged.

You could have the numbers painted on using metallic enamels. Letraset does come in gold for sure as I've used that in the past.
    Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
    ~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
     ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
    Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
    link to glass encyclopedia
    Visit the Online Glass Museum
    link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand