No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: vasart? small adventurine vase  (Read 5951 times)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Re: vasart? small adventurine vase
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2012, 06:35:11 PM »
Michelle,

When I look at the site the new photo of the blue cliosonne V037 vase isn't showing - hence my comment above.

The small dark green cliosonne vase is the V029. Is that not showing?

Nigel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2012, 06:51:07 PM »
The small dark green thistle shaped cloisonne is showing but without a code, just purely described as Vasart thistle shaped etc.
That isn't what I'm confused about.
The blue cloisonne is showing and is identified as I indicated below which is causing my confusion.  You said above you were wondering whether it could be Vasart V037 yet it is on the site identified as such  :-\
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2012, 09:14:16 PM »
Really Michelle, do forgive my indicision, or, perhaps, read behind the query??

Nigel

EDIT: I left the query to allow for debate on the GMB, however I nailed my colours to the mast on my own site.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2012, 10:19:14 PM »
Sorry Nigel  :-* I'm just trying to follow the thread and it's become quite confusing, or I have become confused, by what are considered Strathearn markers and which are Vasart.

m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2012, 03:55:07 PM »
Most of the Strathearn cloissonne type are with a speckled outer and distinctly non Ysart, whereas Nigel's V037 is in a colouring typical with the Vasart/Ysart version. However, I am not content that this be used as an indicator it is Vasart. Without a signed or labeled Vasart of shape V037 having been seen to date, I am inclined to disagree with Nigel's attribution and state my opinion that his V037 is indeed Strathearn.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2012, 05:31:54 PM »
Slightly contradictory Frank, but I do understand what you're saying, and why. I think caution is invariably a good thing with attribution, so I'm happy to listen to your comments.

Of course a signed or labelled version would be the clincher, so maybe we just have to wait? Something will turn up in the fullness of time I'm sure.

Perhaps some judicious editing is called for elsewhere? ??? :o

Cheers, Nigel

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2012, 07:54:37 PM »
Yes a remark could be added but I am working flat out on getting 3 sites updated right now so no real time to address that one! It would be good to hear what others think too.

But I would qualify that in my opinion this is an Ysart vase, even if not by one of their hands unless Vincent of course. Pity we are always asked to say it is one or the other as we cannot accurately date such pieces.

Supposing the design was first made in the last month at Shore Road and not even sold until after the move!

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2012, 08:03:26 PM »
Another thought for description.

Ysart vase decorated in a fashion and colour used at Vasart Ltd but in a shape until now identified as only made at Strathearn.

Presenting an intriguing mystery until it can be proven the this shape was produced at Vasart Ltd.

With paperweights that cross the name change divide they are simply labeled transitional.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2012, 11:07:39 PM »
I like that (blue text) description Frank. It is succinct and accurate (in my opinion) and clarifies that there is still research to be done.

And I do think that a definite "one or the other" cannot be fully determined whilst the question of whether rough grinding of base finishing at Strathearn remains outstanding.

On the point of "transitional" as a description for any item from the Vasart / Strathearn changeover period, the same thing applies to late Strathearn / Early Perthshire Paperweights items. Unless, of course, for PP we do know that Vases, Bowls etc. had clear indications for maker, unlike the paperweights.
KevinH

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2012, 08:32:59 AM »
A quote from me earlier in the thread "To date, no Vasart of that shape of vase has been recorded though Strathearn did produce a vase that shape (V037)". That statement now out of date, the vase in the link is a signed Vasart vase.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Signed-VASART-Scottish-Art-Glass-Thistle-vase-VGC-NO-RESERVE-/300784509469?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item460827621d
Gary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand