No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Does this Strathearn Closepack have date or signature canes?  (Read 1686 times)

Offline Nick77

• Members
Hi All
I picked this up yesterday and have noticed a couple of strange canes as in the bottom picture. The left hand one to me could be 196 the other I can't make out. Did they ever add dates /signature canes or am I imagining something from two broken bits of cane, but then would they really have used broken canes?

Many thanks
Nick

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Alsretro

• Members
    • Scotland
    • My Ebay items
Re: Does this Strathearn Closepack have date or signature canes?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 03:41:16 PM »

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 04:01:25 PM »
Thanks. I have that site bookmarked and generally use it for Id's but somehow missed the page with date canes.

Thanks again
Nick

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 04:03:45 PM »
The odd looking canes in your weight are more likely to be "squashed" rather than broken. Cane patterns can end up looking like something "meaningful" after distortion during the setting and working of the weight.

As mentioned by Alsretro, Richard More's site shows many examples of actual Strathearn signature and date canes.

[But note that one example of an "S" cane, seen in several "upright flower" weights, and also shown in Richard's site, was not made at Strathearn. It is also found in a few weights from before the Vasart Ltd years and could therefore have been an early version of a Salvador Ysart signature!! Having now passed on that piece of information, let's see how long it takes for Starthearn weights with any "S" cane to be offered as "Rare Signed Salvdor Ysart".  ;D]
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 04:07:13 PM »

[But note that one example of an "S" cane, seen in several "upright flower" weights, and also shown in Richard's site, was not made at Strathearn. It is also found in a few weights from before the Vasart Ltd years and could therefore have been an early version of a Salvador Ysart signature!! Having now passed on that piece of information, let's see how long it takes for Starthearn weights with any "S" cane to be offered as "Rare Signed Salvdor Ysart".  ;D]

* Runs off to check for any S canes in curent batch of Strathearn weights* ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand