No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Falconnier  (Read 6401 times)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Falconnier
« on: March 29, 2006, 12:02:35 PM »
Okay, I've read a little bit about these glass bricks in another thread, but can find little out about them on the Internet.

I bought this one, not knowing what it was etc.

Where the pontil is snapped off, there is also another impressed mark, but having difficulty photographing it.

I would have added this to the other thread, but felt it unfair to hijack it.

Are these rare objects?
Any other information, as always, greatly appreciated.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Falconnier
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 12:09:50 PM »
Prunting frits Della!  Nice one!   :D   I've never seen any of those anywhere.  Grrr!  I'd like to see one close up too.  I think Ian said the ones that went at the end were rarer, as less of them were made/needed.  A great find though!!

PS  Stick this on the end of that other thread too, to make sure Ian sees it.  :wink:
I am not a man

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
Falconnier
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 12:15:39 PM »
Thanks Max,   :lol:  :lol:

I will put a link to this post, in the other thread.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline ian.macky

• Members
    • http://glassian.org
Falconnier
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 02:18:25 AM »
Quote from: "Deltab"
Are these rare objects?

Hi Deltab-- yes, they are rare, but they're not something widely collected, so competition is low-- resulting in a market price of about $50.  I have two in typical light aqua; they also come in clear and green (both rarer, as are half-bricks).

So, if it's your kind of thing: a great find at any price, and IMO a steal at $50.  Congratulations, you have a nice early piece of glass architectural history.  To most people, it's some old junk and $50 is way too much.

They are sometimes mistaken for glass floats.  In that market, going price is more like $200-$500 depending on color, based on rarity plus a larger (but mistaken) market.

There is at least one building in the Netherlands (neighbors to Belgium where the blocks were made) which still has them in use!

--ian

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
Falconnier
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 07:41:29 AM »
Thanks for the reply Ian,

The monetary value isn't really important, I just bought it because it was different and looks great amongst my textured glass.

I paid way less than $50, so a bargain no-the-less.
I was just very curious as to when these bricks were made etc.
As I live in the Netherlands, it would also be nice to know where the building is that you mention, because I would love to see these bricks used for what they were designed.

Once again, thanks for the reply.  :D

Offline ian.macky

• Members
    • http://glassian.org
Falconnier
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 03:46:10 PM »
I paid way less than $50, so a bargain no-the-less.

This is the joy of collectring obscure stuff!  There is little competition for the things I collect now -- if they were popular items, the selling prices would have 2 more zeroes at the end (based on bottles, insulators, etc).

I was just very curious as to when these bricks were made etc.

Falconnier's U.S. patent is dated 1889; I have pictures from 1905 and 1910 showing them in use, but can't say when the buildings were constructed.  So, roughly turn-of-the-century.

As I live in the Netherlands, it would also be nice to know where the building is that you mention, because I would love to see these bricks used for what they were designed.

I don't have the exact address yet; but the building is in Rotterdam.  My Netherlands contact is Taco Hermans of the Netherlands Department for Conservation, and it is he who found the building.  Taco's joined this forum (ID "Taco") so I think you can contact him here?  He's going to take pictures of this building I hope.

Here is part of a photo he sent showing a 1905 house with a covered front entryway of hexagonal Falconnier bricks (the other main pattern):

http://glassian.org/GMB/falconnier_inuse.jpg

Where did you find your brick?  Were there more??

--ian

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
Falconnier
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 03:58:30 PM »
Hi Ian, thanks for the information.  :D

There was only this one brick for sale and I got it here in Holland. I will definitely keep my eye open for more, they are very tactile and as I said, they look great with textured glass.

When I bought it, I didn't even know what is was or what its purpose was, but it stood really well. I think it has been used at one time, as there is a tiny bit of concrete under the pontil.
It was only from reading your post and taco posting the photo, that I knew what it was that I had.

I don't live near Rotterdam, but it sounds like a train journey could be well worth the while.

Offline taco

• Members
    • National Service for Archaeology, Cultural Landscape and Built Heritage
Falconnier
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 08:17:29 AM »
Deltab,

I was too busy to attend this forum for a while, but here is my reply. The address of the building in Rotterdam is: Pieter de Hoochstraat 3. It is an old seamansschool and in the toilets there is still a ‘window’ made of the tiles you’ve bought. I hope to have some photos of it soon.
I am interested to hear where you bought the glass brick, because I would love to have one too.

Taco

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
Falconnier
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 08:42:42 AM »
Hi Taco,

Thanks for the address. I will try to get to visit. :)

You can email me about the brick, if you like, I maybe prepared to sell it :wink:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand