No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Green glass dump paperweights with clay figures in them encrusted cameo sulphide  (Read 10426 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
ah using 'dumpy' in my key words  I've found one more with some possible date information -
Apparently this is a 'Fred Archer' dump weight, green dump with a jockey on horse clay figure enclosed.  I've no idea if it really is supposed to represent Fred Archer as there is no supporting evidence,  but he dates to 1857-1886 and was champion jockey for 13 years.  Of course that doesn't mean it was made during that time, but I suppose it's likely it may have been.   I've just put it here for future reference on dates.
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/2752409
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Keith thank you for looking through more books for me  :) I thought I'd said that in a previous post.  I appreciate it.  I do have quite a large library of books now but they just rarely seem to have the piece in that is mine  :-X
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
You are welcome,I've 29 books on glass and a number of general 'antique' books,it wasn't until I got 20th British Glass  ' that I saw any of our pieces so you're not alone in that ;D ;D

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People

Skotnicki's book has a complete chapter on dumps with sulphide inclusions, with 49 illustrations (some of them the same piece from different angles). It mentions others that are not illustrated, too.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thanks Alan - so not that many in total then.  It is on my book hit list, but having bought two expensive ones this month I have to save for it  :)
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
aah she has arrived and she's delightful! YOu might need to right click on images and open in a new tab to see them larger sized.  If you press control and the + button at the same time you should get clearer detail once enlarged hopefully.
Sjhe's 3 1/4" tall by 2 1/4" wide.
I've put some close up picture on, but unfortunately because of some pitting in the glass, the photos distort her face slightly (which is very pretty)and dont represent how beautiful it is when just looking at it lit up. 
Really pleased  :)
She might be Demeter Goddess of Agriculture is all I can think of, as she looks to be surrounded possibly by sheafs of wheat ...but maybe a long shot difficult to tell.  Her left arm is missing.  Any thoughts on who she might be welcomed.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
more pics

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Actually the other side of her is broken off as it were, and I wonder if what is behind her right arm is a wing.  Perhaps she is an angel?
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
similar to the horse one I linked to, but not the same and much bigger at 5" tall by 4 1/2" diameter - he 'raced away'  ;D at over £200.00

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230827214112?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

m

Offline NZ Glassmaker

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • New Zealand
An old thread but just got this piece. Base broken and fracture up through the dump but believe it may be a one off. The pottery mug has a large air bubble inside and the side of the mug has a small split from the pressure. Size is 110mm high x 60mm diam.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand