No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby 'Oranges & Lemons' in clear  (Read 2561 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Sowerby 'Oranges & Lemons' in clear
« on: July 10, 2012, 08:52:13 AM »
Apparently these were produced in clear - I'd rather overlooked this fact - and Lattimore shows one end of a trough in clear (identical to mine) - this is the only clear example I can find.      Otherwise, the books tend to show only Vitro-Porcelain, Queens Ware or Marbled examples.........see Raymond Slack and Sheilagh Murray, although there is a very attractive  Blanc-de-Lait example in Simon Cottle.
At first I thought this one might have been a C20 piece, since it's so clean and devoid of water staining, and doesn't have any wear to speak of on the feet  -  presumably never used   -  but the sharpness of the moulding and trade mark look very crisp.
Perhaps these clear ones are much rarer - what do people think?              thanks for looking, and does anyone please have the other threequarters of my clear trough :)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Re: Sowerby 'Oranges & Lemons' in clear
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 04:08:55 PM »
Paul

My roast chicken is on the table in one minute so will be quick , I seen plenty in clear over the years and would not think they are any rarer.

I do not have the other piece but will look out for one , you could also add two straight section ones in between .

Roy

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 06:16:27 PM »
thanks Roy, you obviously live well :)      As always, I was commenting from the point of view of the sort of material I see on my general travels - charity shops and flea markets etc.         I guess they would be seen more commonly at fairs and decent antiques shops etc., but don't recall seeing one before in the places I normally shop, and all I could remember were the pictures in the books which I thought were in coloured Vitro-Porcelain.       I will hang on to this piece for a week or two so that you have a chance to find the other three pieces for me ;D ;D
Seriously, thanks for replying. :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 06:30:56 PM »
What's "oranges and lemons" about it?
(I was looking for the bloke "with the chopper, to chop off your head" in the figures, but can't make one out!)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 06:37:43 PM »
from memory I think the chopper is the couple who stand holding hands and making the arch, possibly.         And when they bring down their arms, that is the chopper falling.        Really, I'm now not sure. :-\

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 02:25:37 AM »
Paul

I would say that the clear appears more often than any particular colour on ebay.  The clear is not as desirable as the coloured pieces so the books tend to show the latter.

Sid

Offline mrs vulture

• Members
    • Norwich, England
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 09:39:21 AM »
 Hi Paul,    I bought two clear straight pieces and one end section on our local car boot recently for £1 for the three bits.  All in pretty good condition apart from a couple of flea bites. I like this old stuff and was very pleased to find them, The seller didn't know what they were. Theres a complete set on Ebay for £99, been on there quite a while!!!   Cheryl

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 04:23:00 PM »
o.k. I get it....................you're desperate to complete your flower trough. ;D ;D
I stand very little chance of finding the three pieces I need, so am very happy for you to have this single end piece Cheryl  -  send me an off board email, and it'll be on it's way.

Offline mrs vulture

• Members
    • Norwich, England
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 06:31:08 AM »
Hi Paul, as promised a picture of the completed Sowerby set. It looks so much better with the final part!!  ;D  I'd like to thank you again for sending it to me, it was extremely generous of you. I will be putting a donation into our local retired racing greyhound  rehoming kennels soon. (We have two beautiful dogs from there)    Regards Cheryl

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 07:35:40 AM »
looks very good Cheryl, always relieved when things arrive in one piece. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand