No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Little Signed Scandinavian Bowl  (Read 5385 times)

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Little Signed Scandinavian Bowl
« on: July 10, 2012, 07:49:05 PM »
Hello everyone!
Can anyone help me figure out the signature on this little dish?
Also, what technique was used. In Italian glass this would be called Sfumato (smoke bubbles), but im sure that another terminology would be used in the Scandinavian design. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

There are 3 names all around the bottom of the piece, and "- 02" at the end.
Some of the signatures are very faint, therefore the high contrast of the photos to try and get all the detail I could.
Thank you in advance for any information!
Regards,
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Re: Little Signed Scandinavian Bowl
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 07:50:23 PM »
Here are the last of the signature....
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Retro glass and ceramics
    • Scotland
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 08:18:52 PM »
I am pretty sure the first two words read Nuutajarvi Notsjo - which would be right for Scandinavian. The Initials look like KF which could be Kaj Franck.

Adam

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 09:01:38 PM »
I agree absolutely Adam.
I have several pieces signed so neatly Nuutajarvi Notsjo J.N. (Jaakko Niemi) and I am certain that K.F. is Kaj Franck, in fact I think the F is followed by the rest of the name and reads Franck.  It might be worth adding some talcum powder to it to see if the rest of the word shows more clearly.
Such a lovely bowl Javier,  lucky you!
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 09:12:14 PM »
As Rosie points out the second part of the signature is just a little hard to make out, however, without doubt reads Kaj Franck, along with Nuutajarvi Notsjo, the other numbers I think read 62, for the year of production.

Nice thing  :)

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 09:25:26 PM »
It might be worth adding some talcum powder to it to see if the rest of the word shows more clearly

You know I have never tried that. I will certainly give it a shot and see if it works on the bowl, and my other glass pieces as well!
Thanks Rosie!

And thank you Greg for the year! Now that i look at it, the 2 has a dash above it that can be from the 6 touching it, instead of a 0.
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 04:09:27 PM »
A lovely little dish—the date must be '52—these acid painted signatures were only used up until the early 50s when they were replaced by the engraved marks Rosie mentions. The style fits with Kaj Franck in the early 50s rather than early 60s too.

robbo
robbo

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 04:29:32 PM »
Thank you Robbo!
What design will this be called?
Would it be considered Ariel or another type?
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 04:47:03 PM »
Hi Svazzo -

I'm not aware of a name for this design. I have a vase in the same basic decor, with the elongated bubbles on a background of the very, very fine bubbles you mention, which gives an almost milky look. They are often referred to as "Ariel", but I'm unsure as to the exact process—I doubt they are true Ariel. Perhaps "super controlled bubble" maybe a better description  ;D

robbo
robbo

Offline gfirob

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 04:00:11 AM »
If this is the bowl by Kaj Franck (and it looks like that to me) it is made as a kind of industrial ariel in that the glass was first blown into a mold to make the deep lines (rather than cutting them or sandblasting them as would have been done with ariel glass) and then the second layer of glass is cased over the grooved glass creating the long thin bubbles.  It is done by hand of course and is not easy, but it is not ariel as it was done by Orrefors.  I think Orrefors sent somebody over to look at the process to make sure it was not the same, because it looks so similar.  In fact functionally it is the same.  In a way, it is similar to the controlled bubbles in Gunnel Nyman's Huntu pieces in that they are first blown into a spiked mold and then cased, leaving the holes from the spikes as tiny bubbles.  And the acid signature dates it to 1953 or before, as I understand.  And the "smokey" treatment may also be the same kind of technique used by Nyman in some of her glass, where actual smoke was used in the process.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand