No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jobling 8½" Lambton Rose Bowl, EPNS Stand - ID = Charles S. Green & Co.  (Read 2957 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
See GlassGallery file of five images, each with click image to enlarge feature, here:
Registered design No. 787872 of 15 November 1933.   This example faintly marked REGN APPD FOR.

Caveat:   Although this 8½" bowl carries the same registration as the 13" Lambton Rose Bowl, it is not known whether it was the same Jobling pattern No., hence "11000?".

This is the third of these excellent stands I've seen complimenting this lovely bowl, and the first for around a decade.   Previously I gave up on the EPNS mark, so this is an opportunity to do it properly.   However, I can't find it in the books (Mappin and Matheau-Raven), nor can I find it online.

I've thoroughly cleaned the stand, removing old polish with a soft brush, but I've not used silver polish yet as I find that the mark is usually more legible this way.

Any help would be welcomed.

Bernard C.  8)

ps — Here's a direct link to the composite image of four different photographs of the mark:
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Jobling 11000? 8½" Lambton Rose Bowl with EPNS Stand for Id please
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 11:04:37 AM »
very nice Bernard.         What are we looking at in the first two small cartouches - marks appear very worn.        The next box looks lik C. & G. & Co. - is that correct.............and lastly the NS, do we assume is for Nickel Silver - which appears to be a lot less common that Electroplated Nickel Silver (EPNS)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 07:33:20 PM »
Paul — That's interesting.   I read it as blackletter EPNS in the four small shields, with sans serif CSG/&Co in the central shield.

Thanks, but I'm still no closer to an attribution.

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 08:06:21 PM »
o.k. Bernard - so EPNS it is then.            Will have a wander around and look for CSG & Co

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 08:35:51 PM »
Found it.   Charles S. Green & Co. Ltd., Cogent Works, 54 St Paul's Square, Birmingham, established 1905.    Related to, but not to be confused with, the much older Charles Green & Son which is apparently still in operation today.   See:
Scroll about two thirds of the way down, where you will see four marks, one of which is the same as the one on my stand except that the EPNS is in sans serif and not blackletter.

Grateful thanks to the reference website and its proprietor, Giorgio B. of Venice, and to Paul for encouragement.   Nice to resolve this query so quickly.

I wonder if Charles S. Green & Co. made other metal fittings for Jobling glass?

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
Mods — Thanks for updating the title of this topic.

Minor correction.   I interpreted the EPNS part of the mark on this stand as blackletter.   Having seen the similar mark on the website mentioned in the previous reply, I think I was wrong.   It's a poor and worn impression and thinner lettering, but it's not blackletter.

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
well done, glad you found it Bernard.            In fact I have that site as a favourite on my pc, and guess I was rushing and didn't see it (that's my excuse) :)         Assuming your expression 'black letter' is the equivalent of 'Gothic', then would agree your marks not in that category (from memory I thought theses definitions were interchangable, within reason  -  but perhaps not).

Offline Bernard C

• Members
Paul — Blackletter I know, as it is what was used for old Acts of Parliament, such as Enclosure and Turnpike Acts, with which I have some familiarity.   I don't know what Gothic means in terms of fonts, so, for accuracy, I don't use the word in this context.

Bernard C.  8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand