No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jobling trinket pattern 2626.  (Read 4314 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Jobling trinket pattern 2626.
« on: July 14, 2012, 04:58:53 PM »
Just to show that occasionally I know what I've bought  -  attribution provided by Anne's very professional Trinket site http://www.glasstrinketsets.com/         The only Jobling set included in Baker and Crowe is the Jade pattern 12500 - and it's a very big thank you to Bernard for providing details etc. of both the Weardale and 2626 sets   http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,24563.0.html         
It appears that there are only three Jobling trinket sets.       I can't see a name for 2626, and seems I'm missing a small pot and pin tray.
Looking simply at how the Jobling pattern Nos. run, it seems likely that 2626 was first produced somewhere between late 1935 and late 1936 - although reading all of the input for this set I can't see that anyone has mentioned a Rd. No. for 2626 - this set certainly doesn't carry one - and looking in the Blue Book there are four Nos. that are a possibility.     However, I expect someone already knows which is the correct one.

Assume this is the satinized blue finish  -  and feel free if anyone wishes to use this image.    If you want better pix. please ask.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • Trinket Sets, Uranium, Varied,
    • England, UK
Re: Jobling trinket pattern 2626.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 05:20:19 PM »
Nice find Paul! Yes Jobling but I can't help you with a name I'm afraid.
Please help identify Mystery Glass Trinket Sets
https://www.glasstrinketsets.com/Gallery/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 05:53:11 PM »
thanks Jayne :) - one of this morning's finds.       It appears not to have a name  -  I'm sure someone would have said if it did.   

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • England, UK
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 11:12:44 PM »
Perhaps we should name it "Jobling David"?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 10:17:04 AM »
uhmmmmm  -  don't know that the purists will agree with you ;)         From the very little I know about these things, it seems that it's only the Weardale set that has a proper name - perhaps because it was part of a large design related series.      The Jade trinket set is simply described after its colour - perhaps it's a blessing that Jobling didn't make too many trinket sets. ;)     

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 01:58:40 PM »
I visited the National Archives at Kew last week with the purpose of finding a Rd. No. for this 2626 set.         I tried several Jobling only Nos. from the Blue Book............804415  -  807793/4/5  -  808294  -  and 812235, which I thought would cover the likely period when this set would have been registered.          Unfortunately, these Nos. refer to bowls and dishes etc. only, and nothing to do with a trinket set.         I don't think any further Nos occur in the Blue Book prior to Jobling ceasing production, but at some time I'll give it another go perhaps.
Is there a chance that in fact this pattern was registered on some other piece, at a much earlier date??

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • England, UK
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 01:15:14 AM »
Paul, well done on your research at Kew, I'm sorry you couldn't find anything. The Weardale set rd number 724094 dates to 1926 and the 12500 set rd number 795794 dates to 1934 so I wondered why you looked at 8 series numbers or am I missing the obvious?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 08:35:01 AM »
Jayne - I expect it was me that was missing the obvious, and feel sure that the reason for my failure was due to me making assumptions, which lead me to the wrong series of nos.                        The story goes like this..............
Jobling's own catalogue No. 2626 is not shown in Baker and Crowe - but had it been there, would have occured (I assumed, rather hurriedly) somewhere within 1935/36.    So I extracted from the Blue Book all the Jobling entries from volumes 204/5/6, scribbled down the relevant Registrations Nos. (all 8 series Nos.), that covered this period, and shot off to Kew, thinking it was a done job.
Had I been looking more carefully I'd have seen that Jobling catalogue nos. similar to 2626 etc. did in fact occur much earlier than the period I was looking at.
quote from part of Bernard's very informative contirbution (in my link)................"There are at least 66 pattern numbers in Jobling's Weardale range, and that doesn't include different sizes!".................and I notice that none of the eleven hundred series Nos. mentioned by Bernard is shown in Baker and Crowe.

The only trinket set included in Baker and Crowe is the Jade set no.12500  -  so it would seem that a lot of material and data is not included, maybe you should do a supplement Jayne ;)

I know very little about trinket sets (compared to you), and it seems that it was Bernard who first came up with any mention of the 2626 set - at least in this current discussion  -  perhaps he can throw more light on the origin/date of it's Registration :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand