No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large and Interesting Flavio Poli Sommerso Vase  (Read 2285 times)

Offline horochar

• Members
Large and Interesting Flavio Poli Sommerso Vase
« on: July 17, 2012, 12:22:22 PM »
Here's my latest acquisition, a very large and expertly blown sommerso vase by Flavio Poli.  The curled handles are more often seen in pitcher forms (one side only), which makes this piece unusual.  I'm assuming it dates from the early 1950s.  It's VERY heavy and has base wear indicative of age.

Charles.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
Re: Large and Interesting Flavio Poli Sommerso Vase
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 10:33:40 AM »
I am not sure about the Poli attribution on this horochar. The amber section towards the base worries me along the curls on the end. Just doesn't seem right for Poli. It is definitely a good and well made piece and I would love to own. But I am not sure about it being SVdA...other thoughts would be good...

I was going to comment earlier but have been mulling it over...

Offline horochar

• Members
Re: Large and Interesting Flavio Poli Sommerso Vase
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 12:20:14 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  The handles are only green (the amber is a reflection).  I am not going to give up on Poli so quickly, but determining who made what is part of the fun of collecting in this area.  It is definitely old, not made within the past 20 years.  My research continues!  Now if they only came out with that Seguso V.A. book.... :( 
N.B. - I have one other piece in my collection with curled handles, and uncommon feature for Murano vases, although not pitchers.  It is a frosted/satin glass piece.  Unsigned, of course.  I have no idea who made it, but maybe it provides a clue as to who made my "Poli" piece, i.e., if one house or designer favored that form.
Sincerely,
Charles.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand