No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano Festival of Britain Paperweight  (Read 3268 times)

Offline daveweight

• Members
Murano Festival of Britain Paperweight
« on: March 30, 2006, 12:40:42 PM »
I have had this paperweight in my collection for a while now and I have only ever seen two others but they must has made loads of them for the Festival of Britain. It is always nice to see any dated pice of glass as it gioves us an idea of the types of cane used at a certain point in time.
Has anyone any more information about these 1951 paperweights please ?
http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=sma7bs

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 11:10:28 PM »
Very nice piece, but I suggest you post this in the Paperweight forum as it should get a much better response, unless you've already done so.

Any reason why you call this Murano?
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 09:21:03 AM »
It is definitely a Murano weight and if it was sold as a momento of the Festival of Britain I guess they must have made hundreds of them yet I have only ever seen three - including mine so I was puzzled as to why more haven't appeared.
As you probably know, Whitefriars made a paperweight with the wording TRIPLEX 1951 in the centre and this was made for the firm, who make safety glass, to give out as souveniers of the Festival.
Dave

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 09:24:41 AM »
Dave,

I would still repost the photo and any relevant info on the Paperweight forum, as this section is really for Murano glass in general. As Paul points out, KevH and Leni are the two people who could progress it further.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 09:40:26 AM »
Quote from: "DenCill"
KevH and Leni are the two people who could progress it further.

:shock:  :shock:  :shock: How on earth ... What did I do to deserve ..... Where did anyone get the idea .....   :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

:oops: :shock:  Oh, to have my name used in the same sentence as that of KevH in terms of knowledge about paperweights!   :shock:  :oops:

I'm beyond honoured!   :shock:  :lol:   But seriously, folks.  There are many more knowledgeable people around than me!   :roll: I do think the paperweight forum is the best placxe for this, as the real paperweight experts will see it there  :D  :wink:

IMVHO, the canes do have a Murano look to them, but we do know that similar canes have been found in UK weights.  It seems strange (although not impossible) that such a weight would have been 'out-sourced'  to Murano  :shock:  :?
Leni

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 11:52:13 AM »
Do we know that ALL the exhibitors were British? Might there not have been a selection of international stands?

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 12:24:31 PM »
Souvenirs are made as cheaply as possible and country of manufacture is irrelevant.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 07:30:35 PM »
So it's possible that they were sold by a exhibitor from Murano as exhibtion specials

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 09:40:52 PM »
Get the info via your local library. The books with lists of exhibitors are quite scarce but your library should be able to find a copy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand