No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Paul Ysart Paperweight ?  (Read 3233 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Paul Ysart Paperweight ?
« on: July 17, 2012, 07:37:13 PM »
I bought this paperweight today and I am thinking Paul Ysart , although I am no expert on Paperweights.

It measures 3.25" in diameter, a rougth pontil mark with a concaved base.

There are 4 quite large air bubbles inside .

It glows a soft green under a UV light.

Thanks Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Roger H

• Members
Re: Paul Ysart Paperweight ?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 08:38:44 PM »
A beautiful 1930s Paul Ysart weight.  Fairly simple design by todays standards but back then it was a pioneer of design and always will have character because of the era of production.
           Regards Roger

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 06:32:05 PM »
Thanks Roger for you reply .

Regards Roy

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 09:07:17 PM »

A nice neat weight, but I am not sure it should be thought of as a 'pioneer of design', given the tremendous range of millefiori paperweights that various French factories (and Bohemian, and English, and American) were making as much as 80 years earlier.  I am pretty sure that many of Paul and Salvador's designs were based on the Belgian / Alsace / French / Bohemian pieces that they saw when they were based in Paris around 1914. That includes the harlequins, spiders, sulphides, and some of their lampwork and millefiori designs.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 10:17:14 PM »
Cannot remember seeing a victorian weight with the barrel canes in it.  A picture would be useful for my reference library.
         Roger.

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 06:11:20 AM »
nice design and nice canes. Shame about the bubbles. surprising to see an ysart with so many,
Martin

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 10:46:31 AM »

Hi Roger.  Not quite sure what you mean by a barrel cane, but if it is the use of rods placed on their side as part of a pattern, then it was certainly done in the 19th century.

Most common of course was the use of latticino or ribbon canes for this purpose, especially by Clichy. Paul Ysart used a similar approach in quite a few of his paperweights for the spokes. (Top image: Clichy left, Paul Ysart right)

There are antique paperweights with sections of millefiori rod placed on their side on purpose, but these are uncommon, I admit. The second image shows a paperweight with a garland of millefiori rod sections - unknow French / Belgian maker still being researched.

There are a number of examples of early Bohemian paperweights (from the Josephinenhutte) with whole or split cane sections placed on their side in Peter von Brackel's book 'Classic paperweights from Silesia / Bohemia'. I cannot reproduce them here for copyright reasons, of course.
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 07:21:09 PM »
Yes, canes on their side but not latticino type.  Somebody describes them as such and it seems a good idea.  Thank you for the references.
          Roger.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 10:15:43 PM »
The term "barrel cane" may have been something that either I or Terry Johnson (*) gave to Paul Ysart's use of short lengths of millefiori cane which showed the internal colour at both ends and gave them an appearance somewhat like a water or beer barrel! I may have used the term in in article somewhere but if so, I currently have no idea where or when.

(*) Terry Johnson was one of my first contacts, regarding Paul Ysart weights, through the Cambridge Paperweight Circle. His Ysart collection was, at the time, probably the largest in the UK and I remain greatly indebted to Terry for his many discussions on the subject and for introducing me to the fun and games of using longwave & shortwave fluorescence as a possible tool for suggesting the manufacturing periods of Ysart weights.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand