No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID request please - white lidded & footed jar  (Read 2547 times)

bfg

ID request please - white lidded & footed jar
« on: July 18, 2012, 07:41:23 AM »
hi all

so, I'm back again  coz I'm stuck ::) i've been researching this and a matching perfume atomiser for ages and am drawing a blank.

My general feeling is its 20s-40's, Italian and not milk or opaline glass.

The size is odd for a powder bowl - it's huge, almost 11 inches tall x 4 inches wide

So is it opalino? Flicking through L Pina's Italian Glass century 20 last night I found some similar lidded powder bowls that were identified as alabastro?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree completely?

heeelllpppp!

Cheers! from a frustrated Mel

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: ID request please - white lidded & footed jar
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 07:51:53 AM »
Maybe  for bath salts?  I would call it opaline not alabastro  :-\
I think there has been something on here about V Nason opaline powder jars etc as well.  Someone found one with a label.
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 08:26:32 AM »
it is for cotton balls and I would date it in the seventies. If it is heavy, think Nason. If it is light, think Empoli. The material seems to be opaline, which the Italians conveniently call albastro. Their "Opalina" is a combination of a translucent colour and a semiopaque milk glass - this aint it.

bfg

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 09:08:32 AM »
thank you m and Ivo for your replies

aha! - cotton wool balls make sense (it was full of grotty powder when it came to me)

I had originally dismissed opaline as there is no 'fire' in the glass when held out to a strong light so that's interesting too

so, Ivo, what would you consider heavy for this piece please? it weighs 714g (25.2 oz)

many thanks
Mel

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 09:31:29 AM »
you only get the 'fiery' glow if the opaline has been made with bone ash content as far as I know.  I'm not sure what the difference is between opaline made with bone ash (which has the fiery glow) and opaline glass not made with bone ash.  Is the content of bone ash the decider of whether or not the glass is opaline?  or is there also 'modern' opaline, made to look the same - i.e. is the definition of 'Opaline' "solid translucent colour glass" or is it "solid translucent colour glass with bone ash in the content"
m

bfg

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 09:35:08 AM »
good question!

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 09:54:28 AM »
I'd go for semi opaque single colour glass. Bone ash was the old formula and shows up as a fiery glow - but since the mid 1800s arsenic was used which does not produce that glow and still counts as true opaline.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 10:02:35 AM »
Thanks Ivo...so was bone ash completely discontinued mid 19th? or did it continue in use along with arsenic?
I get confused because opalescent glass also has that fiery glow but presumably that is a function of a it being restruck? or is it?  Please feel free to tell me to read more books  ;D
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 11:20:23 AM »
There is no cut-off date when the ingredients were changed - some works did and some did not.   I have some glass here from Hoyerswerda circa 1930 and some parts of it glow like a canary and others do not - so the answer may not be simple and straightforward.

As for the ingredients of opalescent glass I'm 404 why it does what it does.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 11:27:24 AM »
ok, thanks  :)
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum