No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Davidson RD 444604 (registered 5 November 1904)  (Read 4385 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Davidson RD 444604 (registered 5 November 1904)
« on: July 18, 2012, 03:25:03 PM »
I see from Chris and Val Stewart’s Davidson site at http://www.cloudglass.com/r19011910.htm
and from page 140 of their book ‘Davidson Glass – A History’ (2005), that, regarding RD 444604 (registered 5 November 1904) , there is ‘no image at the PRO’ (website) or ‘no image of this design survives’ (book).

Well, whether or not an image of the design survives (at the PRO or elsewhere), I have just bought a clear pressed glass piece in that pattern (see photos).

The shallow dish or bowl is 26.2cm in diameter, stands approximately 3cm high, and has a very shallow centre ‘foot’ deeply impressed underneath with a multipoint star constructed from rings of diamond or lozenge shapes. The sides have a scalloped edge and a shallow 8-way crimp or wave. On the outside of the bowl, in the centre of each crimp is a deeply impressed multipoint star design constructed from rings of diamonds or lozenges (an attenuated version of the central star), and the stars on the sides and centre are separated by loops or swags made up of linked rectangles, each of which, in turn contains four small raised pyramids.

The RD number 444604 is raised on the side of the bowl. It is quite small, and difficult to see against the elaborate pattern, though once it’s been found by feel it shows up reasonably well against the light.

The metal is quite bright and clear (with just the odd bubble) and the decoration is nice and crisp. The whole piece catches the light well and displays beautifully.

Does anyone else have an example, possibly in another shape or even another colour?

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Davidson RD 444604 (registered 5 November 1904)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 05:45:16 PM »
Oooh that's an interesting find, Fred!  I'm sure Chris & Val Stewart would be pleased to see pics of yours. I'll drop them a line to alert them of this topic. 

Meanwhile, can I bother you to add copies of your pics to the RD Nos. album on GlassGallery please? :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 06:01:13 PM »
Anne, I've already emailed Chris & Val stewart offering them high resolution copies of the images but I haven't had a reply yet.

Copies of these images will be posted on the RD database gallery shortly.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 06:21:03 PM »
Brilliant! Thanks Fred. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
lacy pressed glass shallow bowl
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 07:24:15 PM »
I've seen patterns that are very similar, but not identical to this pretty pressed glass dish.  No markings seen unfortunately.
Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated ;)
TIA  :)
Anne E.B

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
Re: lacy pressed glass shallow bowl
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 12:46:57 AM »

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 03:55:22 PM »
Brilliant!  Many thanks Sid.  Davidson it is then, and I've been able to find the impressed Rd.no. from reading the link you gave. It was difficult to spot though, but easier to feel it.
Here's a picture showing the two I have.  The largest is approx. 10½"/27cm diam. and the smaller one approx. 7¼"/18.5cm.
Anne E.B

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 05:31:25 PM »
I posted the image of the Davidson Rd 444604 bowl in the link, so it's good to know that there is a smaller dish  in the pattern as well.

I will put a reverse link as a reply to my initial post, thus hopefully unifying the two threads.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 05:34:39 PM »
There is another thread showing two dishes / bowls in the Davidson 44604 pattern in addition to the dish / bowl shown here.

This is hopefully a unifying link http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,48617.

Any more for the Skylark?

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 09:17:36 PM »
Great idea.  Many, many thanks!
 :)
Anne E.B

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia