No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: RD 580105 - registrant & date of registration, please?  (Read 3742 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
RD 580105 - registrant & date of registration, please?
« on: July 19, 2012, 07:19:19 PM »
Can anyone tell me who the registrant and date of registration were for RD 580105, please?

The date should be some time in March 1911.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: RD 580105 - registrant & date of registration, please?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 10:24:13 PM »
Hmmm that's not in the Blue Book Fred. Are you sure of the number? Do you have a pic of the item so we can see it? It might be one that's been filed under a different class, in which case you may have to ask Paul nicely if he'll look it up on his next visit to the National Archives at Kew.  :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 09:10:02 AM »
I'm still trying to purchase a copy of the Blue Book for myself but It's no longer listed on the The Glass Association's publications list. I've been in touch with the GA by email and they think they 'may have a single copy somewhere, but they are on holiday at the moment and will get back to me in due course'.

I've seen this piece on an internet auction site and have have queried the seller about the RD number. It is a is a cranberry glass bowl (not sure if it is blown or pressed) in a plated metal stand. Because of the metal mount I suppose it could be filed under another class, but the metalware itself is unmarked (though it looks right for 1911).

I'll request permission from the seller to let me post file copies of some of their images on GMB for ID purposes and see what happens.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 10:11:01 AM »
I can, of course, no problem, assuming it remains a mystery ..............I was also going to suggest that someone kindly photostats a copy of the Blue book for Fred  -  there's only 24 pages in total  -  if the GA discover they don't have one left.         I wouldn't have thought this would be a copyright issue provided for private use only.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 11:39:00 AM »
Rather than risking breaching the GA copyright and getting into bother, it might be worth a mention here (for those who aren't aware of it, although I know Paul is) that many of the RD nos. for glass may also be found online at http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/regnos.htm. 8)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 12:03:50 PM »
Thank you Paul & Anne.

My first 'port of call' for RD numbers is usually http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/regnos.htm.
but, valuable as the lists generally are, there are lots of gaps as 'our lists only include designs for decorative glassware, and only those by major manufacturers, importers, wholesalers and retailers. They do not contain Registered Designs for much commercial glassware (i.e. items such as bottles, jars and scientific apparatus)'. Unfortunately, those omitted registrations are often those relating to some of the more obscure fields in which I am interested.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 01:02:46 PM »
I was at Kew earlier this week, but in view of the forthcoming activities in the London area I had it in mind not to venture back again until the Olympics is finished in case the traffic is horrendous.        If you still have this item down as a query  Fred - when life gets back to normal - let me know and I'll have a look in the archives for you.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 01:11:59 PM »
Fred I agree, it's frustrating, isn't it?

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 01:15:31 AM »
I've been playing with the new search function on the NatArchives (it's really neat!) and ran a search across it for Registered Design No 580105 and nothing's shown up, which is a bit odd. Meanwhile, the seller tells me that the RD No. is on the frame not on the glass. I did ask for pictures but no joy.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 10:15:56 AM »
Thank you, Anne.

I had requested a detailed condition report on the glass, whether the glass was pressed or blown, confirmation of the RD number and its postion, and permission to save an image for use on GMB, but I am still waiting for a reply from the seller.

It could well be then, that the registration number relates to the frame rather than the glass (sorry if it's become largely a non-glass related post as a consequence), but it's still really odd that the number doesn't show up in searches at the NatArchives.

I've got a few 'oddities' and apparent ommisions regarding RD numbers (mostly of glass but also some metalwork and china) so I'll give the newNatArchives search function a whirl. Many thanks for mentioning it. With a bit of luck it may even reduce or negate my need for a copy of the Blue Book.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand