No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: RD 580105 - registrant & date of registration, please?  (Read 3743 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: RD 580105 - registrant & date of registration, please?
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 11:51:19 AM »
Anne  -  unless the people at Kew have changed their system (and I haven't been into the thing in detail), their method - on the pc screen - had always been to show many large groups of Rd. Nos.  -  and not to show data down to individual No. level  -  since obviously there is a vast quantity of data relating to Rd. Nos. (not only for glass, but for all 14 or 15 other groups - additional to glass).         
You identify the range of Nos. which will include the specific item you are interested in, then (either by phone prior to arriving, or in person when you arrive) you request the Register (text details) or box of Representations (the pictures) - and they try to have them available within the hour.         For glass these are BT 52 and 53 from memory  -  (BT standing for Board of Trade).
None of this is possible, of course, unless you are have a reader's ticket  -  and for this you must visit in person and register yourself together with a photograph (and possibly a birth certificate, but I'm not sure now about that one).

If Kew have changed their ystem, and all this may now been done on the phone, please do let me know :).

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 06:41:02 PM »
It's their new (as in still in testing mode) search system Paul, which gives a precis / overview of each RD no. I had an enjoyable couple of hours last evening wading through the first 300 of some umpteen odd thousand! :) http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Home
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 10:04:49 PM »
quote from  Mr. thicky was meant to say..........................done on the screen.
I will have a look and see how adequate it appears to be.............will save me going to Kew...........although the down side might be that drawings/pictures will not be accessible on the screen, and it's often necessary to see these.

However, sounds as though it's a step in the right direction. :)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 11:21:42 AM »
Permission for use of photo at last.

The seller confirms that the RD number is stamped on the metalware (not on the glass as I first intimated).

They seem to think that the cranberry glass bowl is pressed, but it looks more like mould-blown to me.

I suppose that the bowl doesn't necessarily even have to be British.

Any opinions, please?

(Permission for re-use of this image on the GMB granted by 'debra_charity')

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 02:46:37 PM »
Well, obviously I'm doing something wrong.............Unlike Anne I can't get beyond group level.

Using Anne's link I've been in and looked at the Board of Trade references BT 52 (the bits with the text) and BT 53 (the bits with pictures).       From what I can see, the screen is telling me that I will need a readers ticket to progress beyond the classification of groups, and they provide a box in which these items can be ordered for when you arrive.         The screen page says that these groups have not been digitised for viewing down to single Rd. item level - so would appear that the bottom line remains that if individual items need to be referred to, then a personal visit and a Reader's Ticket are necessary.            For Registration No. 580105 the following are the relevant papers to see:

The Register (the text) is BT 53/18 (Feb. 21st  -  May 6th  1911)  -  covering Registrations Nos. 578924 - 583324.
The Representations (images) is BT 52/310  - covering Registrations Nos. 580039  -  580200.

This Rd. No. is part of the same sequence of Nos. as umpteen other products/materials (ceramics - metal - glass and some fabric materials) - it really is an eye opener to visit Kew and see some of the inventions and designs that form part of these Registrations.   
If it remains a query, I can make a visit after the Olympics. :)

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 03:30:59 PM »
Paul, I didn't navigate by the references, I used the search box - put glass into there and then refined the results to show only BT results. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 06:58:55 PM »
no good, sorry, doing something wrong.         If you get the time Anne, perhaps you might try this one for Fred.    Thanks. :)

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 07:52:49 PM »
I did Paul, and it's not there (yet) the online collection isn't yet complete though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand