No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large opalescent table lamp  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Large opalescent table lamp
« on: July 19, 2012, 11:41:03 PM »
Hi all,  Picked up this elegant table lamp over the weekend.   Slight tint of blue when held up to artificial light.  The lamp is completely blown glass and I am fascinated by the overall shape.  It appears to have the original fittings.  I have not been able to identify this piece online and think it might be a one-off, solely based upon it's unusual shape.  The height of the glass without fittings is 31.2cm.  The top dia. at largest section is approx. 16.4cm and the base 17.8cm.  Approx. 1cm from the outer rim base sits flush on a table surface the remainder concaves towards the centre where there is a hole within the snapped off pontil area.  The centre area is very jagged with sharp edges.  The base rim is very worn leaving a dull finish compared to the rest of the area.  Any help in identifying this piece is appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Large opalescent table lamp
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 06:17:54 AM »
That is an electrified oil lamp in milk glass circa 1870s/1900s; the conversion would have been done in the 1920s or 30s. The top was oil tank, hence the shape.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 03:12:20 PM »
Electrified oil lamp? I would never of known that.  Thanks for your knowledge and prompt response,  I did not realise it was as old as that.  Quite a heavy structure and very well made too.  I have not removed the fittings and assuming the tank/vessel is sealed off at the neck (thinnest dia. of the structure) during the process of making?  Thinking of the period it was made and the safety  awareness, which I think was none existent ......................I tried pushing it over from the top and the base only to find it slides along a flat surface.  Yes! I did cushion the surrounding area.  ;D  I wonder if it would be different filled with oil considering the density ::).  It looks so simplistic and alone,  but well thought out in the initial design stages prior to the end product.  I wonder what sort of a shade this would have had, if any.  Any ideas?

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 03:21:36 PM »

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 11:09:28 PM »
Thanks for your time effort and info.  That has really been of great help.  I managed to slightly unscrew the brass light fitting and was able to pour water down just to see if there was any holes within the base of the tank that adjoins to the neck.  This is o.k.  The main brass rim fitting around the glass is original with a round brass plate that sits on top with a very small hole on the side, which I can only assume is a breathing hole when using oil. If the shape is not uncommon hopefully restoration will not be hindered  ::).

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 11:13:57 AM »
The brass plate sounds surplus. The original lamp would just have a brass collar that goes over the glass rim with a thread on the inside for screwing the burner onto.
Something like this http://www.oillampparts.com/2-collars.html
And then a burner through which you thread the wick
Something like this
http://www.oillampparts.com/allburners.html

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 12:07:00 AM »
Hi, noted  regarding the plate.  The brass rim with inner screw thread is stil intact and looks very similar to the second image.   Very little  known about oil lamps, your input and info. is greatfully appreciated!  I will be looking to order the burner some time during the week.   The matted ball or glass shade might be a problem though, as I have no idea what the original lamp would of looked like in it's original state.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 06:17:32 AM »
You will need a chimney (more important than a shade) and if you are going to use a shade, then you need the right sort of burner to fit a chimney and a shade or a burner with a separate gallery. Not all lamps had shades. Go and look at a look antiques centre or browse online and you will see what I mean. Don't rush into things without careful measuring and deciding exactly what you need.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 06:27:00 AM »
Found it. it was well hidden.

This one has a chimney for which I found a matching circular wick - and a shade which is a little too white and modern - but it fits.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 12:14:18 AM »
Yes! I quite agree Ivo, the shade does look a bit modern.  Still a nice table lamp though.  I will........ taking your advice Christine, that is........ look out for a chimney that will fit nicely into the burner.   I think the chances of getting both together and of the 19th Century will be a problem though. ::)  I'm not too sure about the type of shade I will need.   I have searched online just to get some ideas as to what would be appropriate and appealing for it's period. Once again, thanks to you both for your input.

Here is an interesting site for the glass oil lamp enthusiastic collectors.  I tripped over this site whilst  browsing and via. your contributions to the post.   http://www.comollo.com/pages/lighting.html

The 35th image,  3/4 of the way down the page looks similar in design to mine and is about the same height. it's a shame it does not state a price it was sold for though.  :'(
Within the description the oil lamp is mentioned as "Clambroth Glass".   I have never heard of this before.    Mmmmmmm! ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand