No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mould-blown figural cornucopia vase  (Read 2156 times)

Offline heartofglass

• Members
Mould-blown figural cornucopia vase
« on: November 05, 2006, 11:54:08 AM »
This unusual vase, in it's curious shade of salmon pink, caught my eye at my local market a few years ago. There was some debate on the day as to whether it was glass or porcelain.
However, it definitely is glass, albeit of poor quality with many small bits of black grit. It is 16.5 cm tall & features a cornucopia flanked by a seated girl,a lamb, & a standing boy. There are details picked out in red paint & gilding.
I assume it to be Victorian, in the ilk of hand vases. It reminds me a little of Staffordshire-type china figures.
I'm thinking it may be French.....anyone else seen one like it or recognise it at all?
Thanks! :)
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline heartofglass

• Members
Mould-blown figural cornucopia vase
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 12:04:52 PM »
Sorry about the small pic, here's the one I meant to post.......

That's more like it! :wink:
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Re: Mould-blown figural cornucopia vase
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 05:26:12 PM »
....anyone else seen one like it or recognise it at all?....

I've seen one like it....
http://pottery.yobunny.com/index.php?topic=10596.0
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 07:51:36 PM »
Fortunately TC remembered your posting having seen my similar figurine which I wasn't sure was made from glass or vitreous porcelain.

She too is of poor quality with tiny black specks and pitted marks.  The base looks to be the same shape.  She's just over 7" high and hollow.  I'm posting the pictures again here:-
Anne E.B

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 09:44:40 PM »
I agree with Christine's comment in the other thread that Anne's looks like slip molded porcelain. 

Marinka, could you post a photo of the base of yours?
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 07:52:36 AM »
Wow, it's been a long time between drinks for me on this one!
It's great to see this topic resurrected after so long. Cheers, T.C!
Anne, your lady figurine is a very similar shade of pink to mine, & the style of the figure is quite close too...
but mine isn't hollow underneath, its a vase with a base fairly typical many of mould blown glass novelties such as hand vases. It's not perfectly flat, having an approximately 5mm border around the edge of the base that is slightly higher than the central area of the base and no pontil mark.
I do believe it is glass, it has a few chips on the rim & the pink colour shows all the way through the chipped area, it looks totally homogenous in terms of the material, unlike a glazed ceramic piece which would show a difference in colour & texture between inner & outer areas of chipped parts.
I am on holidays now & away from my collection but I will get a photo of the base posted in the next few weeks.
Thanks!

Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 02:55:19 PM »
I believe that Central Glass Co. may have made glass in this salmon pink. A dealer I see regularly has a pink fish creamer that I believe to be the same as one identified by Dave Peterson as being by Central, although this colour isn't mentioned in his book. I will check on Saturday (knowing my luck he will have sold it, even though he's had it for months and months)

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 05:16:35 PM »
The base on this wouldn't have to be open since the top already is, so trapped air isn't a problem.  The porcelain may be colored all the way through, rather than glazed.  But of course, it could still be glass - you have a better view of it than I!

I wonder whether the chips might tell you anything.  Does vitreous porcelain break like glass does, with "conchoidal fracture" (curved surfaces)?
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 12:55:42 PM »
I was just browsing ebay for something else and came by something that looks the same as this. I don't know how i remembered the shape after all these years. I think this might be by Portmeirion pottery.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stunning-Portmerion-Heritage-Collection-Rare-Spill-Vases-/150850492696?pt=UK_PotteryPorcelain_Glass_PotteryPorcelain_China_SM&hash=item231f63d918&_uhb=1
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand