No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ink bottle attribution  (Read 1970 times)

Offline Roger H

• Members
Ink bottle attribution
« on: July 20, 2012, 07:59:59 PM »
Any ideas as to when and who made this item.   The first impression was a strathearn cane but no, and I understand there are no strathearn ink bottles anyway(not officially ).  Then my wife mentioned Murano canes but no.  All these thoughts in 2 minutes. 
     I bought it because it was interesting.   Early 20th century may be more likely because of the green tint to the glass and the shape of the bottle.  But then is it really that far back bottle green glass was only used.   But look at the size of the well, four times bigger than usual or necessary.    Quite a lot of base rim wear. Concave base and rough pontil.
           There is a very similar cane used in a Bacchus weight but I can't imagine that.  The canes in the base are virtually level not raised toward the centre as is normal. ?????????????????????????
           Regards Ruminative Roger

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Ink bottle attribution
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 12:15:32 AM »
Hello Roger,although the canes are different and yours isn't covered in dust :o I've four of these and they were i.d'd as Chinese so I'd presume yours may also be ;D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 07:35:40 PM »

Hi Roger.

Chinese - 100% Chinese.  A fairly well known design. The glass is often dark tinged - anything from green-yellow to brown. Some have stoppers that are very tapered, around 3 inch long - but others have short fat ones (that do not always fit well).

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 08:11:04 PM »
Thank you gentlemen, I can see the attribution now but I have never seen one before. At the price I paid
its an interesting object. ( £11).
     Because of the colour of the glass is it oldish or has it been coloured to suit the ink bottle era?
        Roger

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 09:04:18 PM »

Hi Roger

They do not command huge prices, but I think you did well at £11.00.  My belief is that these are no later than the 1960s, so 'oldish' is a fair description. I think the glass is naturally dark.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand